Licuados, malteadas and batidos
  Re: (...)
These three drinks each involve a blender and, depending upon the country and the ingredients, may even refer to the same thing.

Here, in Honduras, although some there is some occasional confusion, the definitions usually work out as follows:
  • Licuado: A smoothie: fresh fruit, milk and/or ice and/or yogurt. sweetener and maybe some other additions. For example, one really tasty licuado has papaya, granola, and ice, all puréed in a blender.
  • Malteada: A milkshake, complete with ice cream.
  • Batido: Kind of a smoothie without fruit and a milkshake without ice cream - usually make with milk and ice plus some addition.
My favourite batido is what prompted me to write this post, and it includes something that's used as a drink here, anyway: OATMEAL!

Yes. Aside from the usual, breakfast use of oatmeal as a hot cereal, ground, powdered oatmeal is used to make hot and cold drinks. In fact, even the Quaker brand of oatmeal is available in the powdered form, not just as the usual, whole oats (although I use a different brand). If you can't get ground oatmeal, you'll need to grind regular oatmeal, yourself, as finely as possible.

To make this batido, put 1 cup of milk, one cup of ice cubes, two tablespoons of powdered oatmeal and honey or sugar to taste into a blender and blend it for a FULL minute. The time is important, since it not only breaks apart the ice, but also incorporates the oatmeal so that the batido almost gets the thickness of a milkshake, even though it doesn't have any ice cream.

That's it! Very simple, but sooooooooo yummy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Licuados, malteadas and batidos by labradors (These three drinks e...)
Interesting...I'll have to look into that when school gets out. Thanks Labs! I haven't had a milkshake in a VERY long time. The idea of having something that has the same consistency and satisfaction would be GREAT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Licuados, malteadas and batidos by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting...I'll h...)
hmmmmm, sounds off-the-wall enough for me to try it have trouble wrapping my head around it, tho.

So the smoothie and milkshake (Licuado & Malteada) would be as we make them here?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Licuados, malteadas and batidos by cjs (hmmmmm, sounds off-t...)
Quote:

So the smoothie and milkshake (Licuado & Malteada) would be as we make them here?

Essentially, yes. The smoothie options do NOT include the turbinado sugar or protein powder that are popular in the States, but DO include granola, oatmeal, and wheat germ. Of course, with all the great fruit we have here, they use bananas, pineapples, mangos, papayas, watermelon, oranges, grapefruit, etc.

Thinking of milkshakes reminds me that one of the ice-cream chains serves "brown cows" in their stores, but the name they give them is vacamuuu (where vaca is "cow" and muuu is "moo"). LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?