Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers
  Re: (...)
Middle Eastern Chickpea Burger
Makes 17 “mini burgers”
2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15 oz can, drained, rinsed, and mixed with a spritz of fresh lemon juice & a pinch of sea salt
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp grnd cumin
¼ tsp grnd coriander
1/8 tsp grnd cinnamon
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 ½ cups cooked brown basmati rice
3 Tbs finely diced red bell pepper
¼ cup loosely packed minced Italian Parsley

Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used a silpat).

Combine chickpeas, salt turmeric paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and lemon juice in food processor and process until smooth and well combined, scraping the side occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the rice, bell pepper, and parsley.

Moisten your hands to keep the mixture from sticking, then shape the mixture into ¼” thick patties about 2 ½” diameter. Place them on the prepared pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until the patties start to get dry and crisp on the outside. They will firm up as they cool.

Variation: For a crispy burger, heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the patties for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.

Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes

Burgers can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, they can also be frozen cooked or uncooked for 2 months.

Recipe from: “The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen, Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment & Recovery” by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson.

My notes:
I added the parsley to the food processor at the end. The next time I make these (and there will be a next time) I think I up the spices a bit. They could have taken a little more cumin - I'm also wondering about trying some really good curry powder.

I tried frying a couple - a complete waste. They just fell apart. Much better baked. The larger size did require about another 10 minutes of baking.

She suggests the mini burger size and serving on a whole wheat bun. I made larger patties (a 1/2 c.scoop made 7 patties) and serve them alongside onion flatbread, with a yogurt & feta sauce, and a cucumber salad. Bob LOVED them and I thought they were a really nice vegetarian meal. They're really colorful too!

[Image: DSCN4759_edited.jpg]

I just might have to get the cookbook – I can’t remember where I found this recipe.

While we were stuffing our faces Opie went missing. We were too busy eating to really notice, but Bob found him . . . napping in an end table with all my cooking magazines.

[Image: DSCN4765.jpg]
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by Harborwitch (Middle Eastern Chick...)
Wow, this sounds really good Sharon. I might try these on foil on the grill though, just to avoid turning on the oven. I wonder if they would hold better and have more flavor if the amount of rice was halved?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by Harborwitch (Middle Eastern Chick...)
Cool! Kind of a modified falafel with rice substituted for flour. Sounds great! Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by labradors (Cool! Kind of a mod...)
does sound good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by cjs (does sound good!...)
And Opie looks ADORABLE!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by chef_Tab (Wow, this sounds rea...)
That's what Bob was wondering - they are "fragile" which might be the reason the author suggested 2 1/2" pattie. I though more chickpeas. I'm not sure a 15 oz can is exactly 2 cups of cooked beans - should have checked. Next time I might just cook the beans from dry.

Doing them on foil on the grill would be great - but be sure to spray the foil with non-stick spray.
  Re: Re: Middle Eastern Chickpea Burgers by Gourmet_Mom (And Opie looks ADORA...)
Isn't he just a cutie! Little stinker just curled up on the bottom shelf with the cooking magazines.