Golf Course update
  Re: (...)
Thought I might grab a moment to give you the latest installment.

Met with the PALCB today - I think that we finally have all the paperwork in line for the inspector to approve and pass on to his boss to look at. Literally about 2" of paperwork for somebody else to look at and find fault with. Some of the issues will not be resolved at this time, but we are hoping just to be able to serve alcohol in the clubhouse for the immediate future. Maybe if the stars align correctly we might have the approval by Tuesday, which is our tentative closing date.

The season has officially started with Memorial Day and we had our first big tournament last week - 160 for a fundraiser for United Way so all the movers and shakers were golfing here. Went off flawlessly - perfect day, grounds were beautiful and Chels served up a perfect steak buffet for everyone. Only fly in the ointment was the volunteer who was miffed because the steaks were not ready when he was ready to eat. We were watching the timing of the golfers and didn't really care about the volunteers, but he was being a turd and then proceeded to eat 3 10 oz. steaks. When we explained to him that it was one per person, he demanded a second steak for his girlfriend (and she expected it medium rare).

When the golfers were pretty much done, she came back to Chelsea who did not know she had alread eaten one steak and asked for one MR. Chels had just pulled some back up from the ovens and accomodated the lady. Who then proceeds to cut the end of the steak, stick it on the fork and show everyone at the table how she had ordered it MR and "does this look MR to you?" Got Chelsea's hackles up, so she went over to the girl and asked her to cut into the center of the steak. It was pretty much still mooing according to Chels who inquired politely if it was rare enough for her. Shut her right up. Who expects that kind of treatment and they weren't even a paying customer?

But everything else went fine and they have booked for next year. Yay!

Labs, took up your idea for the water on the course. Turned out we had Igloos that they used to put out on the holes years ago but nobody ever changed the water. So every morning we swap out the igloos with fresh ice and water. The people are excited that they are back. And it is one of those little things that I probably wouldn't have thought about if you hadn't planted the seed. We are constantly hearing that the course is improved so much from the previous years and I think those little things all contribute to the overall feel.

Chels has planted her herb garden right outside the back kitchen door. So she picked fresh basil for her basil aioli that she made last night. She is waiting patiently for the sage to get bigger to make a sage and brown butter sause for raviolis.

That catches up with all of our news. Just really long days that I hope with even out someplace along the line here. Oh, no, sorry, Ava came home Monday. Just a little munchkin, but she made 5 pounds and seems to be doing well.

Miss all of you guys! I am having C@H withdrawals!!!
  Re: Golf Course update by iBcookin (Thought I might grab...)

[Labs, took up your idea for the water on the course. Turned out we had Igloos that they used to put out on the holes years ago but nobody ever changed the water. So every morning we swap out the igloos with fresh ice and water. The people are excited that they are back. And it is one of those little things that I probably wouldn't have thought about if you hadn't planted the seed. We are constantly hearing that the course is improved so much from the previous years and I think those little things all contribute to the overall feel./]

Okay, I will politely ask for an explanation about what you are referring to "Igloos".

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Golf Course update by iBcookin (Thought I might grab...)
I'm so glad things are going well for you! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to get comments on how you've improved the operation?

You know there's always one jerk @** in a crowd but it sounds like Chels dealt with it well.

I'm crossing my fingers for you LCB paperwork!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by Harborwitch (I'm so glad things a...)
Wow sounds like things are really working out! That is just fantastic and huge kudo's to you for pulling it off. What an accomplishment
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by BarbaraS ([br][Labs, took up y...)
Quote:

Okay, I will politely ask for an explanation about what you are referring to "Igloos".

Barbara

I think possibly water coolers? A lot of times they are orange and cylindrical with a spout at the bottom.

Congrats on seeing the successes of all your hard work. May you find even more success!
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by DFen911 (Wow sounds like thin...)
Barbara,

"Igloo" is in reference to the brand of coolers used. We were talking about having large coolers of water available at the hole tees.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by labradors (Barbara,[br][br]"Igl...)
What a terrific update! Sounds like you are working very, very hard, so it sure is nice that you are finding success and receiving good feedback from your customers. I rather doubt that you will be able to have shorter hours anytime in the very near future. With a business that size, there is always something that needs to be attended to.

Hope you are at least enjoying what you do now as that is so important when you have to spend so much time at work.
Keep us posted when you can. I love hearing about the events and your success.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by Mare749 (What a terrific upda...)
"Keep us posted when you can. I love hearing about the events and your success." - Me too!!

This is just great, Linda!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by cjs ("Keep us posted when...)
That's a great start to your venture... Good luck with the liquor license! Many golfers do like a drink after a round.
  Re: Re: Golf Course update by HomeCulinarian (That's a great start...)
YEA! It sounds like things are going GREAT! We sure miss you! It's so sweet of you to keep us all posted on your progress. I have fingers and toes crossed things go well with the license! If you get a chance, we'd love to hear if it goes through....if only a short...."WOOOO HOOOOOO!" I'm pretty sure everybody here would know what it was about!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.