Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta
  Re: (...)
This is from CookingClub magazine. I have been subscribing to this magazine for ages and ages. Frequently I'll find great recipes that I just have to make, but then between Cuisine @ Home, this forum, and Food & Drink I seldom get to them. This just sounded so summery and fresh! I halved this for just Bob and I.

Avocado, Bacon & Tomato Pasta

6 slices thick cut bacon
12 oz gemelli or rotini pasta (I used Dreamfields Penne)
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 Tbs. lime juice, divided (I used True Lime & water - limes are so expensive here).
1 small yellow summer squash, diced
1 Tbs. garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 avocados, diced
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
4 oz. sugar snap peas, cut in 3/4" pieces
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning once. Drain on paper towels and chop coarsely. Reserve 2 TBS of the drippings in the skillet.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the pasta water.

Meanwhile heat the bacon drippings in the skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and 1 Tbs of the lime juice. Cook 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add squash and garlic, cookand stir 1 minute. Season with salt & pepper. Remove to a large bowl

Heat oil in the same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add avocados, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and remaining 2 Tbs of lime juice. Gently toss. Reduce heat to low, cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until warm stirring occasionally.

Add pasta to bowl with onion mixture. Add avocado mixture, and bacon, and reserved pasta water. Toss gently until well mixed. Sprinkle with cheese.

Notes: This made a very light lovely dinner. I can't wait be get back to avocados and limes at reasonable prices.

I can see adding some jalapeno, and I think I would use Cojitia cheese instead of parm. But all in all Bob has requested that this be a frequent dinner.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by Harborwitch (This is from Cooking...)
Thanks for sharing this! I am trying to incorporate an avocado a day into my diet. I read somewhere it might help with migraines. This sounds like a wonderful summer-like dinner that we would both enjoy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by chef_Tab (Thanks for sharing t...)
This does sound good, Sharon - thanks for posting it.

Theresa, add the Avocado & Ham Pizza to you menu list for one of your Avocado days, it's really good!

I reviewed it a few days ago -
"P.S. re Sunday dinner - whoever has access to page 98 of Pizza!Pizza!Pizza! - you might want to check it out and maybe use Guyere instead of Provolone. Also, next time I make this one, I'm going to sub shrimp for the ham - it just seems to be calling for it."

But, the ham was delicious also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by cjs (This does sound good...)
Jennifer's dad used to love to put canned shrimp and crab on home made pizzas. He couldn't get any of the pizza places to do it though.

I'll have to try this!
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by Harborwitch (Jennifer's dad used ...)
I really like the sound of this, but William just doesn't really care for avocado. When I make something with avocado, I do one with and one without. I don't think that would work here. POOH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by Gourmet_Mom (I really like the so...)
Yes it would, Daphne - I quite often do pizza in halves because we had to test so many!!! put mushrooms on his half or tomato & basil or mangoes or .......POOH
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by cjs (Yes it would, Daphne...)
Uh, Jean, I was talking about the pasta recipe that Sharon posted, not a pizza...LOL!

Speaking of pizza, though, I had thought I'd try the recipe you mentioned, but with the shrimp instead. When I do, I'll post a review on the thread you started on that pizza.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by Gourmet_Mom (Uh, Jean, I was talk...)
ooops, I thought you were responding to Sharon...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by Harborwitch (This is from Cooking...)
Wow!! That sounds like a perfect lunch for my mom, sis, and bil if they make it over to my house!

How do the avocados hold up? Do you use ripe ones or less than ripe to keep their shape?

Thanks for the recipe!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Avocado, Bacon, and Tomato Pasta by BarbaraS (Wow!! That sounds l...)
Ours were ripe - they sorta held up - but they also contribute to the sauce. Less ripe might hold the shape better though.