Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2
  Re: (...)
For heaven's sakes we've had this little recipe since 1997 and none of us have made it???? This is so fast and so tasty!! We both loved it.

Thai Vermicelli
Issue #2, C@H - serves 2

Saute:
1 T. sesame oil
1 1/2 cups pork tenderloin, thinly sliced

Add and Cook Quickly:
24 slivers each:
yellow & red bell pepper
carrots
zuchini and yellow squash
1" scallion sections, diaagonal cut

12 pea pods

Add:
1/3 cup Thai dressing (see recipe following)
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 T. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped

Serve over:
3 cups cooked Chinese vermicelli

Sprinkle on:
1 T. sesame seeds

1. for garnishing, toast seasame seeds in a dry saute pan untill lightly browned.

2. In a large skillet over high heat cook the thinly sliced pork in the sesame oil. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon.

3. Add all the veggies to the pan. Cook only about a minute over high heat. Make sure you keep the veggies crisp.

4. Stir in the Thai dressing, chicken stock, and coarsely chopped cilantro. Cook until sauce is hot. Serve over vermicelli.

-----

Thai Dressing (Makes 1 1/2 cups)

Combine and bring to boil:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter, room temp.
3 T. light soy sauce
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
3 T. honey
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. minced ginger
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T. minced garlic
1 T. sugar
1 T. Asian chili sauce

------

Really a good dinner and the rest of the Thai dressing will be used tonight (Saturday) on a Thai Salad (same issue).
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by cjs (For heaven's sakes w...)
That looks delicious! I'm saving it to try soon. I love going through my early annuals to see what I've missed. I'm glad you gave this one a try.
  Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by cjs (For heaven's sakes w...)
Sounds really good - printed and ready to go for a dinnernext week. Thanks for posting it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by Harborwitch (Sounds really good -...)
Jean, this sounds great, and I've got all the ingredients except the Asian Chile Sauce. It's interesting this has come up since I have a question about this very ingredient. I wanted to make this Skirt Steak with Shiso-Shallot Butter, but it called for sambal oelek or other Asian Chile Sauce. I was going to start a thread on this, but I guess I've made my decision....I'll get the chile sauce and make the recipe with that. That way I'll have the sauce for this recipe, also! Thanks for the recipe! It looks like my menu for next week is coming together pretty fast!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this sounds gr...)
I think you'll be surprised at how fast you use the Asian Chile Sauce, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this sounds gr...)
I recently found a couple of Thai recipes I wanted to make. As a result I've found out a lot about Thai cooking sauces. FWIW, sambal olek is just one of many Thai chili sauces. There are hot ones Srichacha, sweet chili sauce, garlic chili sauce and then there are chili pastes.
I apologize if I this is common knowledge, but I didn't know that much even though I love Thai.
nam prik pao = Thai chile paste = Thai chili paste Notes: This paste is made from chilies, onions, sugar, shrimp paste, fish sauce, and sometimes tamarind. It's sold in jars, and comes in different strengths, ranging from hot to mild. To make your own: See the recipe for nam prik pao posted on RecipeSource.com.
sambal oelek = sambal ulek To make your own: Mix hot fresh chili peppers (including seeds, if you dare) and a bit of water in a blender until it forms a paste, then add a bit of salt, or see the sambal oelek recipe posted on RecipeSource.com. Substitutes: other chile paste OR harissa OR hot pepper sauce OR red pepper flakes OR chile powder
SrirachaNotes: This is a hot sauce used as a condiment by Thais and Vietnamese. Substitutes: Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce (not as sweet)
Sweet Chilli Sauce: This distinctive, slightly sweet chili sauce is a fairly thick sauce, and if you've ever purchased barbeque chicken from a street vendor in Thailand, it was undoubtedly served with this sauce. Ingredients: palm sugar, red chili, vinegar, garlic, salt, water.
Then there are the Thai soy sauces which are different from Shoyu (Japanese) and regular Chinese soy sauce and Tamari. The ones used in Thai are black soy sauce and sweet soy sauce.
Apparently the use of the Chinese type soy sauce instead of the Thai is why Thai dishes don't taste the same at home as in restaurants.
I just ordered both sweet soy and black soy sauces online (along with yellow curry paste, roasted chili paste in soy bean oil, Golden Boy fish sauce and salted radish) since my local Asian market did not have them. I also picked up a bottle of the sweet chili sauce at World Market. My bottle of Srichacha has disappeared. It was full the last time I used it, but my sons must have finished and not mentioned it nor else the gremlins got it and are using it to put on the missing socks.
Thanks for posting the dish. It looks great except for the peanut butter which I know needs to be there, but....
  Re: Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by Cubangirl (I recently found a c...)
CG, I had seen the substitutions, also. I'm just going to wait until I make a trip to the city to pick up some Chili Sauce. I've got a great Sweet Chili Sauce recipe that I got from Jean...VERY GOOD! But when asked, Jean told me that it would not be good IN the recipe, but would be good ON it. I hadn't thought of Srichacha. I wonder if that would work? I've got that.

That would mean I could do both recipes next week!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thai Vermicelli Review - Issue #2 by Gourmet_Mom (CG, I had seen the s...)
I love the Kecap Manis Sweet Soy Sauce, but I don't have any black soy sauce. will look for it!

Try them, Daphne, what the heck.
www.achefsjourney.com