we're baaaaack
  Re: (...)
Still suffering from jet lag (after 4 days). After a bit of a health scare, we decided to go to Europe this year. We spent the first week on a river cruise from Budapest to Nurenburg. The food on board was good - nothing special, meaning nothing that you can't find in any good restaurant.

We rented a car in Nurenberg and toured Germany for a week. The food highlight was an amuse bouche of a white asparagus custard. I'm going to try to create one with green asparagus - I'll let you know how it turns out. I've got the grands for about 10 days starting Tuesday and I won't be able to try this until after they leave. A cream of watercress soup also was lovely.

We spent the last 9 days in Belgium and Holland - we had the moules avec pomme frites (mussles and fries) which was excellent. My friend had a built in steam oven, it was small - but they eat a lot of soft-boiled eggs and it cooks them to perfection in 4 minutes.

All, in all, we had a blast, despite having more rain than sun.

Sally
  Re: we're baaaaack by lxxf (Still suffering from...)
Welcome back. What a wonderful trip! Sorry about the health scare though.

Don't feel too awful about the weather - most of us here have had more rain than sun - well, at least a lot of us!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: we're baaaaack by Harborwitch (Welcome back. What ...)
Wow! What a trip! Welcome home!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: we're baaaaack by Gourmet_Mom (Wow! What a trip! ...)
Welcome home from what sounds like a fantastic holiday!!!

"we had the moules avec pomme frites (mussles and fries)" - so were the mussels prepared in the steam oven?? Hmmmm, sounds like a good combination. So does the asparagus dish - will be anxious to hear how you do with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: we're baaaaack by cjs (Welcome home from wh...)
What a fabulous trip! I'm glad the health scare didn't prevent you from enjoying it.

I think I ate my weight in mussels last summer when we were in Holland and Belgium. They were so delicious. The one thing I couldn't do, however, was to dip my fries in mayonnaise. It may taste good, but I couldn't get over the fat content in that particular combination. (Pretty ironic, considering my love of tasty food!)

That asparagus dish sounds really intriguing. Keep us posted on your experiments.