Cassata - From Lorraine
  Re: (...)
Sorry Lorraine, this one caught my eye immediately!! Lorraine forwards me her sister & b-i-l (or brother & s-i-l - never can remember which ) travelogues which are always fantastic and this picture really grabbed me. The picture was labeled "Cassata" - that's all.
[Image: CASSATA.jpg]

I googled it, but couldn't find anything similar, most are for filled cakes - cis and Maryann may be able to help out here...

But, in looking for something I got side-tracked and found this cake that looks absolutely wonderful, so thought I'd better share.

CASSATA ALA SICILIANA (SICILIAN CAKE)
CAKE:

1 lemon pound cake (9 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches)
1 lb. ricotta cheese
2 tbsp. heavy cream
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. Amaretto di Saranno
1/4 c. crushed pineapple, drained
10 maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 c. nuts, coarsely chopped

CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, cut in sm. pieces
3/4 c. Amaretto
1/2 lb. sweet butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

CAKE: Slice horizontally into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick slices. Beat cheese until smooth. Beating constantly, add cream, sugar and Amaretto. With spatula, fold in chopped chocolate and fruit.

Center bottom slice of cake on flat plate and generously spread with ricotta mixture. Repeat layering. Gently press loaf together to make it as compact as possible. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm.

FROSTING: Melt chocolate with Amaretto in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until dissolved. Remove pan from heat and beat in butter, one piece at a time, until mixture is smooth. Then chill until mixture thickens to spreading consistency. Spread frosting over Cassata. Cover loosely and let the Cassata ripen in refrigerator at least 24 hours before serving. Serves 10 to 12.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by cjs (Sorry Lorraine, this...)
Jean, YOU go to your room! That is just mean showing me this. Now hurry up and make it and mail me a slice.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by chef_Tab (Jean, YOU go to your...)
Jean! That is just wrong - unless of course you're serving that for dessert when we come to visit???????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by chef_Tab (Jean, YOU go to your...)
My WORD! Now that's what I call a Pizza Pie! Now find out what it is!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by Gourmet_Mom (My WORD! Now that's...)
If I only could! It was just a picture sent in an email...darn. But, c'mon, I gave ya'all something
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by cjs (If I only could! It ...)
I'll run it by Maryann when I see her later this week. I need to call to check in with them, so I may just ask her when I talk to her.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by Gourmet_Mom (I'll run it by Marya...)
Oh that's right she's not home to see this - well, it's all on Cis, then!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by cjs (Oh that's right she'...)
It caught my eye also! Jean, if you click on the "visiting" link in the email, you'll get her descriptions. Here is what she said:

"The cook had made an incredible crossata and so we each had a tiny piece to taste. It was a shortbread type of dough with jam spread on it, covered with a lattice top. Very yummy and a work of art. The owner came out later with glasses of a local digestif for us, complements of the house."

They get home next week, maybe I can get more info from her.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by Lorraine (It caught my eye als...)
Ah Ha! I think the mystery is solved. I googled crostata like in her description and look what I found. It looks delicious. I have a lot of jam left over...

Crostata
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cassata - From Lorraine by esgunn (Ah Ha! I think the ...)
I think that's it! Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.