A Little off topic....
  Re: (...)
But there are pictures of food and eateries!

I finally waded through the gazillion pictures I took this weekend and put together a slide show of our trip. Some of the captions fly by a little too fast, so just hit the stop button at the bottom of the picture....if you're interested in reading the captions. So, if you've got 10 to 20 minutes to kill....grab a glass of <insert beverage of choice here> and check it out. Just click on the picture below.

[Image: th_Herewecome.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: A Little off topic.... by Gourmet_Mom (But there are pictur...)
I had to run through a few times. What lovely photos, Daphne! My dear friend, Laura, Okey Gnocchi(rarely posts) has a daughter and son-in-law who live in Boone. The SIL works at that Mast General Store you photographed! How funny! Looks like you had a great little get-away. And Cricket is as adorable as ever.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by chef_Tab (I had to run through...)
When I posted that one, I remembered somebody lived there and knew about the store and had catered their daughter's wedding at the original store in Valle Crucis. I'm glad that puzzle is solved...LOL! Thanks for watching. I wish I knew how to slow the thing down....the old version of Photobucket had a speed choice at the bottom....but the captions show up better on the new one....oh well!

BTW, not only can you stop it, but you can click through one slide at a time. Just hover your mouse at the bottom right of the first picture and you'll get back, stop/play, forward buttons.
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by Gourmet_Mom (When I posted that o...)
Great pictures Daphne. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: A Little off topic.... by Gourmet_Mom (But there are pictur...)
Daphne the pictures are beautiful! I can't wait to get out that way - but I don't know about taking the motorhome up & down that road!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by Harborwitch (Daphne the pictures ...)
Thanks Erin. We're hoping to go back in about 3 weeks. I'm planning to go to Linville Falls for that trip....BEAUTIFUL! I just hope I'll be able to still make the hike up...LOL! I may even get brave and take a trip down sliding rock, too! It's a small waterfall over smooth large rocks that you ride down on your butt into a pool at the bottom....but the climb back up to the top to the car is a bear!!!

"but I don't know about taking the motorhome up & down that road!" You'd be fine on the parkway, but we'll all pile in the Mini to make the trip up to Howard's Knob....LOL! Now that things have grown up and the windmill is gone, the trip up and down is the biggest thrill! William put the car in neutral at the top and was going to see if he could still make it...He put it back in low gear to get me to stop screaming!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Erin. We're ...)
If you're interested in this type of thing, here are links to some of the things from the show:

The Original Mast General Store This one I recommend if you've got the time.

Grandfather Mountain If you're into breathtaking scenery, this one's great. There are slideshows on the left down the page.

And just for kicks: Tweetsie
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Erin. We're ...)
What wonderful photos! I really enjoyed going through them. My boys were both born in NC, and we visited the Mast General Store in Boone when they were little. I'd forgotten all about what fun we had. We'll have to take a road trip some day soon.
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by karyn (What wonderful photo...)
Oh Daphne, I was downloading the photobucket photos and it was taking so long, but the first time I checked back there was a photo of a man in a beautiful Craftsman-style bed, with a woman in her undies standing next to it... and I thought "are these the photos she wanted to post????" But the next time I clicked back to the site, I saw that it was an ad for a movie!

They're coming in, though. I'm a very patient person, you know...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: A Little off topic.... by foodfiend (Oh Daphne, I was dow...)
LOL! Wouldn't that have been a surprise! I forget about your dial up...I hope you find it's worth the wait!
Daphne