Anybody here ever make gelato??
  Re: (...)
I have a electric Deni ice cream maker that you have to freeze the container. Then, I have a Donvier ice cream machine that you freeze the container and manually turn the handle. Gelato is based on less overage, air put into it when it is churned, and it has less butterfat than ice cream. It has a denser and more flavor than ice cream. I think I'll use the Donvier and see what happens. Gelato at the grocery store is $4.99 a pint and at the Gelato Store about $9.00 a pint. Let me know what you think!!!! Got any good recipes to try??
  Re: Anybody here ever make gelato?? by Barbarainnc (I have a electric De...)
I'll be interested in your results. I've never even had Gelato. I understand it is VERY good. If it would work in a regular electric ice cream maker....old-fashioned type with a canister with paddle and ice around it...let me know. Especially if you find a good recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anybody here ever make gelato?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'll be interested i...)
Here is one I haven't tried yet, but sure sounds good.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/da...elato.html

and this one I have made and it was very good:

Traditional Vanilla Gelato with Wild Cherry Syrup

Cherry syrup is delicious drizzled over this vanilla gelato, and it can also be swirled into the gelato during the final stage of freezing. Use about 1/3 cup syrup.
Ingredients:

* 2 cups milk
* 4 egg yolks
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla paste or extract
* Wild cherry syrup for serving

Directions:
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the milk until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until blended. Gradually add the warm milk, stirring until blended. Transfer the mixture to a clean saucepan, set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula or spoon, until the custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of the spatula when a finger is drawn across it.

Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve set over a clean bowl and stir in the vanilla. Refrigerate the custard, stirring occasionally, until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.

Transfer the chilled custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the gelato to a container; cover and freeze 3 to 4 hours before serving.

Scoop the gelato into individual ice cream dishes or bowls and drizzle with cherry syrup.
Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anybody here ever make gelato?? by Mare749 (Here is one I haven'...)
Oh my...Billy used to make the best gelatos and sorbets ever! He had lots of recipes - you might do a search here on the forum for some of his recipes and ideas, Barbara.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com