Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls...
  Re: (...)
Okay, so I got the limes, lemons, and the dill to make those really cool ice bowls for some shrimp as appies.

So I load the dill at the bottom and the lemon and lime slices around the bowl outsides.

Then I fill with water.

BIG MISTAKE!!

The dill and the slices floated to the top.

So I emptied out all the ingredients and started over.

Only this time, I filled with a little water - up to half of the lime slice - and put it in the freezer to "anchor" the goodies. Tomorrow night, I'll finish with the water to the top.

Ta-Da!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by BarbaraS (Okay, so I got the l...)
Well done! I don't remember that being a problem, but I mixed the dill and lemon slices together on the sides and bottom, so maybe the dill sprigs held everything in place.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by Gourmet_Mom (Well done! I don't ...)
be sure to post photos Barbara! Sounds very cool.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by chef_Tab (be sure to post phot...)
yes, we'd all love to see the pictures.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by cjs (yes, we'd all love t...)
I'll have to remember that. What a great presentation. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by Lorraine (I'll have to remembe...)
Okay, I'll have to send someone the pics to post, I don't know how to do it on this board.

I just took them out and let them slide out the form. They're very pretty but...

My critique: the dill should not be absolutely at the bottom of the form, the ice doesn't completely cover it and now I'm smelling dill on my fingers. I'm debating doing this over again and using parsley leaves. I don't want to hang the shrimp off the edge and have it smell/taste of dill.

What do you all think? Is dill on shrimp a deal-breaker?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by BarbaraS (Okay, I'll have to s...)
Dill goes with seafood, but it's up to you. I'd do them again if I wasn't completely satisfied. You were doing this to impress.....
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by Gourmet_Mom (Dill goes with seafo...)
Yeah Daphne, I keep smelling the dill on my fingertips. I think it'll be a re-do with parsley this time.

Ooooo!! I can let them thaw and re-use the lemon and lime!!

Oh yeah.

Barbara

Edit to add: I may just try to freeze the dill an inch below the top of the bowl form so it's totally covered and really just a decoration.

But seriously, these bowl forms are really quite interesting and a neat gadget to have.

Edit/Edit to add: No dill. Looks pretty, but so do just lime/lemon slices.

Barbara<~~~wondering if vodka gets the smell of dill off fingers
  Re: Re: Making Those Really Cool Ice Shrimp Bowls... by BarbaraS (Yeah Daphne, I keep ...)
"wondering if vodka gets the smell of dill off fingers" Worth a try!
Daphne