OT---Has anyone ever tried this?
  Re: (...)
www.restaurant.com

I'm wondering if it's too good to be true? There has to be a catch somewhere...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT---Has anyone ever tried this? by Mare749 ([url=http://www.rest...)
A number of years ago, while Roy was still working and we were trailering all over the west on business (read Co. paid a lot of it ), I belonged to something like this and I would get points per visit to different city restaurants to be turned in for freebie dinners. It worked well.

Now, we don't hit Las Vegas, L.A., Phoenix, etc. like then.

Sorry, Maryann, didn't really answer the question...I think most of these restaurant deals are pretty good. AND, restaurants are hungry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT---Has anyone ever tried this? by cjs (A number of years ag...)
Maryann, a friend of mine does this occasionally. It isn't exactly as wonderful as it seems, but a good deal. For instance, in a lot of the towns I am visiting (or living in) the restaurants I like aren't participating, and I won't go to a place I don't care for just to save money. We typically eat out seldom. I seem to remember there are limits as well, like you can only use one certificate per visit or something so you cannot pay your whole bill with them. The one time we went with our friends, one of us ended up with a free lunch so we just split the bill in half. I hope this makes sense.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: OT---Has anyone ever tried this? by Mare749 ([url=http://www.rest...)
I've been doing this for a long time, Maryann. Just watch the exceptions. You can only use 1 per month per restaurant, and luckily, some of our favorites are there. Many say you need to order at least $35, some say dinner only, some say no Fri or Sat or holidays, but you'll be told that before you buy. Some recent deals I've gotten-a $50 gift certificate to Prime Steakhouse in Oqunquit, Maine, for $4, most are $25 certificates that cost me $2. That would be during their 80% sale. So far, I've had no trouble using them, and neither has my ex husband (and his new bride!) who told me about this to begin with. We're going to go out to eat anyways, and gets us to try new places. Picky says it's like finding $$ on the floor.

If it's something you can use, go for it.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: OT---Has anyone ever tried this? by pjcooks (I've been doing this...)
Well, that's what I was thinking. Living in a suburb of Cleveland, I have access to a lot of restaurants. We don't eat out very often either, but I thought this might be a fun way to try some of these places. Great input, thanks everybody!
Maryann

Re: Re: OT---Has anyone ever tried this? by Mare749 (Well, that's what I ...)
Just wanted to add, for anyone who might try this, check with the restaurant first before you purchase a certificate, because sometimes they are no longer accepting them. My daughter mentioned that one and I thought it was good advice.
Maryann