Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas
  Re: (...)
Daphne is looking for recipe's for Ashley's BF and requested splitting up the ideas he is looking for, so here tis:

"While Ashley was here today, we were talking about recipes. Her BF, who loves to cook and would LOVE to go to culinary school, has been searching for recipes. He used to work at a restaurant that used a GREAT jerk product. He can't remember the name of it, so he has been searching the web for Jerk recipes...with no luck.

I have the one I have from "The Taste of Southport" that is pretty authentic, but if anyone has a great "jerk" recipe, we'd love to test it!

Now that I think about it, I might should have separated this into two threads. It might be a good source for others when looking for these two separate cuisine ideas. So separate away, Jean!

Thanks in advance."

Done, per Daphne’s request.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by cjs (Daphne is looking fo...)
THIS ONE from Jamaicans.com is what I use. The allspice and the Scotch-bonnet peppers are the keys. As you read that recipe/article, remember that Jamaicans call allspice "pimento." The article does use a couple of parenthetical reminders, but it's easy to forget if you also like what we call "pimentos."

One other trick: the article mentions that they'll also throw some allspice BRANCHES into the charcoal to add even more flavour. Since I've only ever seen the whole allspice berries, and not the branches, I'll toss a handful or so of the berries into the charcoal for the same effect.

P.S.: A restaurant chain called "Bahama Breeze" (from Darden - the same parent company as Olive Garden and Red Lobster) has a really great appetiser: Jerk WINGS! YUMMMM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
This is from F&W--it's done and in the fridge along with the salsa!!! Will be served Saturday.

Jerk Pork Tenderloin/Pineapple-Jicama Salsa

1/4C canola oil
2 scallions, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves smashed
2 habanero chilis, stemmed & seeded
1 T soy sauce
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T brown sugar
2 t ground allspice
1 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t thyme leaves
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
1 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
2 pork tenderloins (14 oz each)
salt to taste

Put first 12 ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag--add tenderloins , seal and marinate 4 to 8 hours. Remove and wipe off excess marinade, rub with remaining oil and salt to taste. Grill over moderately low heat, turning occasionally, until internal temp is 135--about 20 min. Let it rest 10 min--slice and serve with salsa following.
Delicious!!! Works with chicken too!!

Pineapple-Jicama Salsa

2T finely chopped red onion
1T fresh squeezed lime juice
1 & 1/4 lbs peeled and diced pinapple (about 3 cups)
2T fresh pineapple juice , squeezed from the rind
5 ozs 1/4 inch diced jicama (peeled)--1C
3T chopped fresh cilantro
1T lite brown sugar
1 serrano chile--stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1 scallion, thinely sliced

In a bowl, combine the red onion and lime juice and let stand 10 min. Add all other ingredients--toss and serve with tenderloin.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by labradors ([url=http://www.jama...)
That one sounds good, Labs. I remember reading the allspice comes from the 'Pimento' tree.

I'm posting this one for you, Daphne - I know you asked for tried & true, but I'm thinking I'll use this one on Sunday for the 4th (or darn, now I'm torn between it and the one above.... ). It's from a Rib book that I especially like by Hugh Carpenter & Teri Sandison, The GreatRibs Book.

Enough for 2 sides baby back ribs - serves 4

Jerk Marinade:
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsps. freshly ground nutmeg
2 tsps. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped cilantro sprigs
1/2 cup minced green onions, green & white parts
1 T. minced fresh thyme leaves
10 cloves garllic, finely minced
1/4 cup finely minced ginger
3 Scotch bonnet chiles, or 6 very finely minced serrano chiles, including seeds, or 2 T. chile sauce

Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs. Then place ribs in a retangular dish or baking pan.

To make the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir well. Makes 2 3/4 cups.

Coat the ribs evenly on both sides with the marinade. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least 15 min. or up to 8 hours.

Grill, smoke or roast your ribs.

Edited to add: Bill and I posted at the same time, now I'm getting really up in the air as to which one to try....Thank heavens I have lots of ribs in the freezer and some other pork pieces to play with also.... Good ideas here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by labradors ([url=http://www.jama...)
For Labs and Ashley's BF

You still would need a recipe for Jerk dry seasoning, and it looks like creole seasoning. I got this off the Bahama Breeze web site.

Jamaican Marinade
Try this recipe as a marinade for the Jamaican Grilled Chicken Wings.
INGREDIENTS:
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbs. Jamaican Jerk seasoning
¼ cup orange juice
2 Tbs. soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs. dark Jamaican rum
juice of 1 lime
1 scotch bonnet or habañero pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped red onion
2 green onions, chopped
½ tsp. Creole seasoning
PREPARATION:
Slowly add the olive oil to the jerk seasoning stirring with a wire whisk.
Then add all remaining ingredients; stir. Refrigerate.
Makes 1 ½ cups marinade, enough to marinate about 12 servings.

Jamaican Grilled Chicken Wings
Serves: 6
INGREDIENTS:
Jerk marinade (your favorite) 3 cups
Garlic, chopped 3 Tbsp
Thyme, fresh chopped 1 Tbsp
Allspice, ground 1 tsp
Water 1 cup
Scallions, sliced 1/8" 4 Tbsp
Chicken Wings whole, thawed 5 pounds
Jerk Seasoning Dry* as needed
MARINATING PROCEDURE
Add the jerk marinade, garlic, thyme, allspice, water, and scallions in a large bowl and mix well using a whip to evenly combine the ingredients. Add the chicken wings to the marinade, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator on the bottom shelf.
Tips
•Make sure the chicken wings are fully thawed this helps the chicken to fully absorb the marinade.
•Marinate the chicken wings for 18 to 24 hours before cooking. The longer the marinating time, the more flavorful the wings will become.
COOKING PROCEDURE
After marinating is complete, remove the wings from the marinade and place in a clean bowl. Lightly season the wings with the dry jerk seasoning and lay on a sheet pan with the wing tips face down. Bake the wings at 350ºF for 20 - 25 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from the oven and place in the refrigerator to chill to 40ºF.
Tips
•Make sure the wings are drained well after being removed from the marinade or the seasoning will not fully adhere to the wings.
•The wings are cooked with the wing tips face down, to allow more even cooking and removal of excess fat from the chicken skin.
•By pre-cooking the wings this prevents flare-ups on the grill during the final grilling procedure
GRILLING PROCEDURE
Heat your gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. Place the chilled wings on the grill and grill for 2 ½ - 3 minutes on each side. The skin of the wings should develop a crisp texture and a mahogany like color. Make sure the wings are fully heated to 165ºF.
Tips
•Wings can also be placed on the grill directly from the oven to express the cooking process.
•Allspice or pimento leaves can be placed on the grill during the grilling process to give the wings a light smoked flavor.
Serve hot with your favorite beverage. Enjoy!!!

And Click here for some really great Jerk Cooking Tips
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by esgunn (For Labs and Ashley'...)
Oh, my...Jason is going to be thrilled! The dish he's trying to replicate is the Jerk Wings from a place called The Wing Shack. He'll probably try them all, so when I get a report, I'll post it here. You guys are great!

And Jean, thanks for doing this. I guess I could have done it, but I wasn't sure it was necessary. I think it's working out better separating the two.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, my...Jason is go...)
" I think it's working out better separating the two." me too.
www.achefsjourney.com
You know, I make a great Jerk marinade I got from Billy. I usually make a huge batch and freeze half. The frozen half I use when I make Jerk Ribeyes for my DH. He loves those, especially in the middle of the winter.

P.S. I guess I am a little slow today. What 'two things' are we separating. I just don't get that.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by luvnit (You know, I make a g...)
Daphne was looking for wok cooking and jerk recipes, both, and thought it would make sense to separate the threads. Stay with us here, Laura....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Request for Recipes - Jerk Ideas by cjs (Daphne was looking f...)
Ohhhhhhhh... Now I get it. My brain is just not processing today...

Somebody slap me!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura