Jam
  Re: (...)
So tonight I made apricot jam. Long and short they cooked in a water bath for 10 minutes and have been cooling for about 2.5 hours now. Out of 8 jars only 4, so far, have had the lids make that sucking noise and go down. So if by morning the other lids don't go down should I disgard them?

I have a feeling if I barely touched them they'd go down, but wanted to see if they'd do it on their own. There isn't any input in the canning book, or on the web that I see that mentions if the lids don't go down.
  Re: Jam by DFen911 (So tonight I made ap...)
My guess is by morning they will have all sealed. If not, by morning you put them all the the refer and eat a lot of jam in the next month or give them away - to really close family and friends. They will be fine. I make upwards of 300 jars of jam every year, and we have had not problem. Just be patient and let them seal at their own pace.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Jam by esgunn (My guess is by morni...)
I'm with Erin, sometimes it takes overnight for them to seal.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Jam by Lorraine (I'm with Erin, somet...)
They will be fine, Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jam by cjs (They will be fine, D...)
Well they all sealed but one so that's the one I'm gonna use for us. Thanks for the info!

Lol it's really a good thing too cause I never tasted the jam before I sealed the jars. How stupid was that?

Now I'll be able to check the consistency and flavor. Hopefully this Wednesday I'll be getting plums. If I get enough I plan to make plum jam and plum infused vodka.

I found my grandmothers canning book and it has some really neat stuff in it. One is a champagne mustard that I simply must try.
  Re: Re: Jam by DFen911 (Well they all sealed...)
I agree with Jean. I'm loving trying different mustards lately, so if it's a good one, I'd love to try it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jam by Gourmet_Mom (I agree with Jean. ...)
I'm gonna make it this week so I'll let you know. I need to find the tiny 1/2 pint jars and make a trip to a store that has champagne vinegar
  Re: Re: Jam by DFen911 (I'm gonna make it th...)
Denise, you might want to tuck this little idea in the back of your mind for jam making in the future. When I make fruit jams, I normally make more that one batch, so one of the batches I add minced jalapeno. These jams make the best topping for blocks of cream cheese, to dollop on a cracker with some goat cheese, or just so many other ways to use them for appys. The jalapeno (or serranos) just jazzes up the jam a little.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jam by cjs (Denise, you might wa...)
Oh that sounds so yummy.

Well I opened one of the jars to taste and it's pretty good. A bit sweet, but then I guess 7 cups of sugar will do that. At least it wasn't grainy or runny