Back on the farm
  Re: (...)
We're home! I haven't had time to browse much, so will have to do that and catch up.

I also have to get a slide show together on Flickr and post a link.

Jean - I have to pick your brain, a bunch. How do you travel all day, do all the stuff, and then put a gourmet meal on the table. I know we weren't well prepared and somewhat limited, but geeze . . . woman you are a God.

In one day we did Crazy Horse Mountain and Mount Rushmore - there was some serious exercise involved there because the RV parking is far far away from the facilities. More on all that - and fun stuff after we get our feet back underneath us, caught up on what needs to be done here at home, and get through all the crap with the accident, insurance, and repairs.

Funny - tonight we're having leftovers of a dinner I cooked in the motorhome!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Back on the farm by Harborwitch (We're home! I haven...)
Sharon, I'm glad you guys made it home safely, if slightly scarred. I haven't done it, but I'm thinking planning and prep done ahead would account for Jean's success on the road. That and PRACTICE! Plus, I'm betting they're not in a hurry to get from point A to point B...set a time to stop, and stop...regardless of where you are. But that's just a guess.

At home or on the road, Jean always amazes me with what she can get done in a day! She is definitely a culinary goddess!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, I'm glad you...)
Hi Sharon, so glad you are home safe and sound. What accident??? Are you both alright?

Looking forward to seeing all your pics when you get a chance to post them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Mare749 (Hi Sharon, so glad y...)
Welcome back to the farm, Sharon! And I also ask,what accident? Hope that it was very minor...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Mare749 (Hi Sharon, so glad y...)
We're fine - the motorhome is bruised but not bloodied.

As we were going through Wyoming we discovered we were driving into a severe thunderstorm warning area - possibility of 60-70 mph winds. quarter sized hail, and tornados. We pulled off the highway to let the storm get way head of us. After it did we pulled back onto the highway. There was a big rig about 3 or 4 hundred yards back.

We were in a construction zone, posted no passing. There was oncoming traffic in the next lane. Next thing I know there's a big rig passing us on the shoulder. He ran out of room and the tail end of his trailer swacked the side view mirror on my side of the coach.

Dumba$$! Sorry Jean.
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Harborwitch (We're fine - the mot...)
I think Daphne hit the nail on the head - when we're in the trailer, we aren't in any hurry and I can just play to my hearts content.

You'll be cooking multi-course dinners in the big RV in no time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by cjs (I think Daphne hit t...)
I hope so. I think once I get all set up and get in the hang of it . . . and don't try to climb 2 mountains in one day!
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Harborwitch (We're fine - the mot...)
Quote:

We're fine - the motorhome is bruised but not bloodied.

As we were going through Wyoming we discovered we were driving into a severe thunderstorm warning area - possibility of 60-70 mph winds. quarter sized hail, and tornados. We pulled off the highway to let the storm get way head of us. After it did we pulled back onto the highway. There was a big rig about 3 or 4 hundred yards back.

We were in a construction zone, posted no passing. There was oncoming traffic in the next lane. Next thing I know there's a big rig passing us on the shoulder. He ran out of room and the tail end of his trailer swacked the side view mirror on my side of the coach.

Dumba$$! Sorry Jean.

No need to say you're sorry--I'm a 40 year independent insurance agent--the trucker owes you!! Make him pay your damages and any delay expenses you encountered including meals, motels, etc!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Back on the farm by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It looks like his insurance company is going to pay. Luckily for us he drives for a major trucking company and they are serious about safety.

Thank you for the advice. It didn't really cause us any issues - of course it appears that we'll be in North Dakota a few weeks longer than expected - it's going to take 12 weeks to get the parts - AFTER the approval! So much for leaving for CA the weekend after Labor Day. That might change our route plans but otherwise . . .
  Re: Back on the farm by Harborwitch (We're home! I haven...)
Wow, you've had quite the adventure, Sharon. I'm with Bill, he should pay. And Bill, I've had, as well as my 3 boys, the same insurance company for 36 years and the only claim I've ever had was for a windshield...., guess they made their money off from me!! (Did I just jinx myself?)

Glad you're okay and back.

PJ
PJ