OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted!
  Re: (...)
Step #1 in getting my life back is planting my garden. A full 5 weeks late, but hopefully I'll get some production before the first frost...

22 tomatoes (a few different varieties)
12 peppers (green bell, yellow bell, "fajita", poblano)
also- zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, lettuces and arugula (in the shaded part of the plot), lima beans, parsnips, kale, pumpkins, butternut squash

I also planted an adorable Thai chili pepper plant (the tiny little peppers are several different colors from chocolate to orange and red) in a pot since it is too decorative to tuck away in the garden. And another planting of basil and cilantro as well.

Tomorrow I'll mound straw around the base of the tomato and pepper plants for water retainage, and maybe get marigolds planted around the outside of the garden fence.

Then I sprayed a heavy dose of Liquid Fence around the perimeter to keep out the hordes of deer and rabbits...

The back pain is pretty intense now, but it feels so good to get this done and I cannnot wait for fresh produce!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by foodfiend (Step #1 in getting m...)
That's awesome, Vicci! That makes my project yesterday seem feeble! After the deer got the corn and the fiasco with the potatoes, I got really discouraged this year. My tomato plants on the deck are doing well, as are my herbs, but nothing like what you've done. I AM hoping to do a fall/winter garden...butternut squash, garlic, spinach, and lettuce.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by Gourmet_Mom (That's awesome, Vicc...)
Ah, but you are so lucky that you can do a fall/winter garden! It's funny how, 5 months ago, our we had 30" of snow on the ground, our upstairs rooms were at 38F, and we were living at MIL's old apartment (sneaking Spooky in under cover of blankets...). I'd like to try, someday,living in a more temperate climate!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by foodfiend (Ah, but you are so l...)
To be honest, Vicci, I don't think I know what a temperate climate is. While I don't envy you your harsh winters, our HOT HUMID summers are merciless! Actually, I think Labs has the most temperate climate of all of us!

To be fair, I guess you do get some of our heat, but we don't have to deal with ANYTHING like your winters. Personally, I've decided I need to have two homes....one in Maine or Washington state (cool mild summers) and one here (cool mild winters)! I think that would be ideal! That or move to Honduras, but I don't speak Spanish....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by foodfiend (Ah, but you are so l...)
When the time comes, we should post pics of our gardens... that would be nice.We are on our second round this year. Last year was pathetic. Would love to see others' gardens.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by luvnit (When the time comes,...)
Good for you vicci! We've been eating cherry and grape tomatoes , they are coming in fast and furious. i was too late planting greens, so will wait until the end of August to plant them. Something ate the eggplants (little black bugs I could not get rid of), but the watermelons are thriving. It's fun to watch it all grow, isn't it?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: OT- Wahoo! Finally got the garden planted! by Lorraine (Good for you vicci! ...)
Our really little garden this year is finally coming along - sun sure helps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com