Monday's Dinner, 7/12??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone?

I'm making sandwiches from the flank steak we had Saturday. Roy should be able to handle that. He's going in for surgery on his right wrist this a.m.Oh my, not looking forward to the next few days - he loves (read need) to be pampered when he's hurting! How can two people be so different? I just crawl in a hole and want to be left alone when I hurt. Poor baby.

A short review on the Filipino Food Feast of yesterday!! My God, this group cooks!!!! One gal made a wonderful dessert none of them had ever brought before - a Cassava Cake.

Here's the recipe: Look in an Asian or Filipino (duh) store.
Cassava Cake

2 packs of grated cassava (this is a frozen item)
2 packs of frozen young coconut (this is also frozen)
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 can coconut milk
1 can condensed milk (divided)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (the gal says she uses whatever cheese she has in the frig - the one yesterday had the Mexican combo cheese)

Mix all together, using just 1/2 of the condensed milk; pour into a greased 9X13" baking dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour (or up to 1 hour + 20 min.) Remove from oven and drizzle the other half of condensed milk over the top and put under the broiler until browned.

This dish has the oddest texture, but the flavor is so nice, not overly sweet. I just kept picking at it.

I googled this recipe and there are a lot of versions of it, of course, but I'll try hers first and go from there. It's would be quite a potluck conversation starter...

Oh, and The Closer comes back on TV tonight - YEAH!!! Our favorite show.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
That cake sounds so....odd. Not knowing what cassava is probably has something to do with my confusion, though. I'm guessing it's a starchy item.

"Oh, and The Closer comes back on TV tonight - YEAH!!! Our favorite show." Funny, I just realized last week that Kyra Sedgwick is Kevin Bacon's wife of 22 years. I first noticed her in Something to Talk About years ago...great actress.

Dinner? I have no idea. I'm heading out in a few to take OS back to the city and making a run to several stores and markets. So dinner will be decided later. I'm thinking either Goujons of Sole (read fish sticks) with Dill Mayonnaise or Mirin Glazed Salmon...both from Nigella Express, my July Cookbook pick.

Speaking of the Goujons, Jean...Nigella fries these. Don't you think they would be fine baked?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (That cake sounds so....)
Hmmmm, well the portions are so small, they may overcook before you get much browning??? But, why not give a couple a try - or leave the pieces a little larger?? Sounds good, I haven't done them with the cornstarch, I usually just use flour.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by cjs (Hmmmm, well the port...)
Pooh, I think you're probably right.

BTW, good luck to Roy and his surgery! (And good luck to you with the nursing! I just finished my role as nurse....not fun!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (Pooh, I think you're...)
Found a picture of the Cassava cake -
[Image: CassaveCake.jpg]

Thanks Daphne.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Oh my, not looking forward to the next few days - he loves (read need) to be pampered when he's hurting!

Hmmm, I really don't want to insult any members of our Board here, but could this be because he is male? Honestly, I always wondered why Jack will make such a big deal about a small cut on his finger ("honey, I need the neosporin and a bandaid and could you get it fast because I'm bleeding everywhere) while I would wrap a kleenex around my cut finger, secure with a bit of tape, and deal with it until I find myself near a bandaid! Then he will walk around with the cut finger elevated for at least the rest of that day. And this, in my experience, it par for the course with some friends' husbands, my sister's hubby, my nephew...

Rob, Bill-- I'm sure that you may have a comment here!!! Now realize, I know that there are always exceptions!

Jean, I hope that your Florence Nightingale duties are minor ones... and that Roy recovers easily and quickly.

I have no idea what's for dinner. It's humid and cloudy, so I don't want to turn on the stove but if it rains I can't use the grill... I do know that fish sounds good to me right now and I have tilapia and tuna steaks in the freezer. And shrimp. This will have to be (yet another) last minute meal decision!

ETA: Jean, that cake looks delicious! I could go for a piece right now, as I seem to be in a mid-morning slump!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
I just learned something. Many of you probably already know. Tapioca is made from the cassava root. I was googling Cassava after looking at the cake, and one mentioned tapioca. Of course that sent me to the pantry to look at my minute tapioca but the ingredients on that just said precooked tapioca. . So then had to google tapioca. I just love the internet!

Jean, best wishes to Roy (and You). Hope his surgery goes well and recovery even better. I know he will be fed well!

No idea on dinner yet. Might be grilled chicken and pineapple quesadillas. We really liked those.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Quote:

This dish has the oddest texture, but the flavor is so nice, not overly sweet.

Probably because cassava = manioc = yuca and is the source of TAPIOCA! Just think of what the addition of tapioca to a recipe does. Even though the recipe says "cake," I've heard this referred to as a "pudding."

Quote:

Rob, Bill-- I'm sure that you may have a comment here!!!

Apron strings? Can't say. I live alone and don't go running to anyone at the slightest sniffle.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Steaks on the grill that are still marinating. Was suppose to be dinner last night, but plans changed. As for sides, that will depend on what looks good when I get to the market this afternoon. Probably baked sweets and a salad.

Jean, the cake looks delicious. It does look a bit more like a pudding; very moist.

As for the other discussion, I'd say there are all kinds. Ron is one of those men who suffers in silence. That's not always the best way to be either because then no one thinks you need a hand with anything.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/12?? by Mare749 (Steaks on the grill ...)
Thankfully my husband is a silent sufferer - I can only handle medical drama from one in the family and that would be my son. Hope Roy's surgery goes well - for both of you.

I *think* I'm leaning towards grilled shrimp satay with grilled peaches and bok choy.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...hoy-242685