SCORE!
  Re: (...)
Today's shopping trip was a TOTAL success, well, almost!

-Sam's didn't have anything different in the wine department that struck my fancy, so I decided to wait for a trip to a wine shop on another trip. They DID have the sheet pans this time, though. Thank goodness! I had four, but one found its way to the camp, one found it's way to Wilmington, and one got ruined in a cooking disaster. Now I've got two new shiny pans! AND I snagged the last package of Sockeye Salmon. YEAH! One piece for gravalax and one for dinner! AND I got the new Cuisine Lite Fresh and Fabulous! There are several things in this that I'm anxious to make. While looking around in the spice section, I finally spotted the bulk yeast! Now someone needs to remind me on how to store this. It came in a pack of two 1 pound packages.

-While at the Asian store, the merchant told me to look at any grocery store for the Sake. I had to ask the store manager at Lowes Food, but he steered me right to it! FINALLY! But they DIDN'T have my polenta. POOH! Maybe I have enough for my dinner later this week.

-The Asian Market was full of surprises! I got my sushi stuff to get started on that. The guy pointed me in the direction of a mixture for my sushi rice. It's a powder and you just dump it in, and presto...sushi rice! He said several of his sushi chef customers use it and like it. I still got the rice wine vinegar, just in case. Plus I use that in other stuff. Then I determined that they DO indeed have the Hot Mustard Powder and Hot Chili Sauce! YEAH! (Thanks for steering me to this Ron and Maryann! Now you won't have to bring any down this fall.) I also got a wok. I got a flat bottom non-stick. The merchant said I didn't want to get the round bottom since, the ring it sits on would raise it too high off the heat and would not get hot enough to stir-fry. (Any advice on this from others would be appreciated. I have a smooth top cooktop.) While wandering around picking up this and that and confirming ingredients for the future, I discovered the pork and beef products in the new part of the market. SCORE!!!!!! PORK BELLIES! I got two! Now to order my salt! I'm so excited! And they were so CHEAP! I saw that they had frozen Cassava and also found the sambal oelek. I don't know why I didn't get the sambal oelek, but I'll be going back soon and will be sure that gets on the list.

My purse is much lighter than when I left, and I'm not real anxious for William to log onto my account later, but I sure am happy with my purchases. Especially the PORK BELLIES!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (Today's shopping tri...)
The problem with a non-stick wok is that non-stick pans are not supposed to be used at very high temperatures, but stir frying IS. I'll stay with my well-seasoned, carbon--steel, rounded-bottom wok that works perfectly on my gas stove without using a ring (rings are usually for electric stoves, and I can't even imagine what someone would do if they had one of those ridiculous flat-surface stoves that just about require perfectly flat pans).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SCORE! by labradors (The problem with a n...)
The problem with gas is this house has never had gas. When we remodeled and created the kitchen, I asked about gas and William said NO! Even the contractor was VERY reluctant, so I gave up. The reason for the resistance is that the house is so old, the wood ceiling, walls, and floor are probably fat lighter by now, AND the house is shifting. The contractor THOUGHT he had it leveled out and said it was a permanent fix, but based on the 1/2 inch gap between my backsplash and countertop...it ain't permanent. If you combine all those factors, you might agree, gas in this old house was potentially dangerous.

Back to the wok. Are you saying I could poison us if I use the non-stick on high heat on a glass top stove? Should I take it back and get the carbon steel round bottom? I guess I COULD use it on the gas burners on my grill. At least I think I could make it work.
Daphne
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (The problem with gas...)
I totally forgot...the merchant at the Asian market also told me about this new restaurant called The Bento Box. Apparently, the chef shops at his store 2 or 3 times a week.
Daphne
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (I totally forgot...t...)
Are you looking at your shiny new pans over and over???

Congrats on the wonderful shopping trip (well, maybe less the pork bellies...), isn't it great when you come home loaded down with great stuff?!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (I totally forgot...t...)
Once you open the yeast put it in a tupperware and keep it in the fridge. It should last a good long time.

Congratulations on all your scores at the Asian market. Is the wok teflon coated? Mine has a "non-stick" finish that's not teflon. I think it was a Joyce Chen so I don't worry to much. If it were me I'd keep the flat bottom and use it on the grill. Someday I'd like to have a high BTU wok burner. Ah well.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Harborwitch (Once you open the ye...)
The little old Asian lady recommended it. It says Non-Stick...nothing about Teflon. Is it the Teflon that isn't supposed to be used on high heat? Surely they wouldn't sell these things if they weren't safe. The label says Walong Marketing, Inc. Buena Park, CA.
Daphne
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (The little old Asian...)
1. I finally spotted the bulk yeast! Now someone needs to remind me on how to store this. It came in a pack of two 1 pound packages. - keep it in the freezer.

2. dump it in, and presto...sushi rice! - no rice wine vinegar?????? I would miss the flavor, but I don't know what the heck product you are 'dumping in'

3. the ring it sits on would raise it too high off the heat and would not get hot enough to stir-fry. - Bullsh*t!! what horsepuckie - listen to Labs. (give this away for a Christmas present.)

4.Especially the PORK BELLIES! - finally some great homemade bacon!!

5.Back to the wok. Are you saying I could poison us if I use the non-stick on high heat on a glass top stove? Should I take it back and get the carbon steel round bottom? I guess I COULD use it on the gas burners on my grill. At least I think I could make it work. - Sounds like you are up a creek without the proverbial paddle. You have a glass top stove??? Maybe you're better off with this non-stick wok because you probably can't get the heat with that stovetop. But, as Labs says, non-stick are not for high heat and it will disintegrate fast, I'll bet.

Sounds like you had a great day!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: SCORE! by Gourmet_Mom (The little old Asian...)
Daphne,

I only meant that non-stick surfaces tend to lose their effectiveness if you keep using them on high enough heat (thereby becoming very annoying "stick pans"). Otherwise, I'm not really familiar with the chemical aspect of it.

THIS article and THIS article have some very good information.

I love the 16" (bigger than average), carbon-steel wok that I got from a restaurant-supply store for $9.95.

[Image: woke.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SCORE! by cjs (1. I finally spotted...)
What a good day for you

Btw when you use the ring you are suppose to remove the grate over the gas burner so the wok sits down low on the flame.

I so wish I had an asian market here! There's a large one in Los Angeles, may have to make a shopping day excursion out that way