Any of you know about this book or movie?
  Re: (...)
Just saw a commercial for a new movie: Eat, Pray, Love which is based upon the book by the same name. From what I found, it is the memoir of Elizabeth Gilbert, of whom I have never heard.

Of course, the first question would be whether the book (on the NY Times best-seller list for 158 weeks) and movie (being released August 13th) are any good, but I posted this here to find out whether (based upon the title) this could be considered a "food movie" from which we may glean some interesting dishes.

Any ideas?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by labradors (Just saw a commercia...)
Sorry, Labs...I am not familiar with this. I'll check it out tomorrow. Hopefully, Jeanette will know more about it. This looks right up her alley.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by labradors (Just saw a commercia...)
I'm not sure, I think food is involved in the movie, but not from any intellectual point of view. "Tortilla Soup" was probably more of a foodie movie. I may be wrong.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by Old Bay (I'm not sure, I thin...)
Tortilla Soup was just an adaptation of the classic Eat Drink Man Woman. Each was good and each would qualify as a "foodie movie," but the original MUCH more so
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by labradors ([i]Tortilla Soup[/i]...)
My book club read Eat, Pray, Love about a year ago. It really isn't a food book. Instead it's about a woman who decides she isn't happy living in the 'burbs and doesn't want children, divorces her husband and travels in Italy and India (maybe somewhere else, too) to find herself. We were pretty split on the book....some people absolutely loved it, but others (me included) found her pretty self-involved and not particularly inspiring.
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by karyn (My book club read [i...)
I think the movie incorporates the 'food' aspect of the book a bit more. At least when I heard them talk about it on Oprah, they commented on the food and what they were eating in it and how good it looked. I have not read the book, but I thought it sounded good. But if I do, I will have to read it BEFORE the movie. Since once I see the movie I will have no motivation to read the book .
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by luvnit (I think the movie in...)
I saw the initial program about the book and the author on Oprah. I almost got it for Jennifer (and I think she did read it).

I found the author's "journey" interesting, and admire her for the courage to go on this search. I so wish I had had the strength many years ago. I did a smaller version - finding out who I "was" vs. who "they" thought I should be. Interesting journey -

Labs I'll put the movie on my list, and maybe if I can find an audio version I might read it. Right now I'm doing an audio "workshop" by Joseph M Marshall called "Quiet Thunder" -the Wisdom of Crazy Horse. I am finding so much wisdom in the Lakota way of life.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by luvnit (I think the movie in...)
It's also possible that I don't remember the food aspect as much as I should. It's been a while since I read the book.
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by karyn (It's also possible t...)
hmmmmm, on the list!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Any of you know about this book or movie? by cjs (hmmmmm, on the list!...)
Thanks for the info, everyone.

Karyn, what you said about its being "self involved" while others loved it seems to be typical of what I had found in my initial googling. Of course, it's possible that many people liked it BECAUSE it was self involved. After all, look at the success of "Hero" and "The Greatest Love of All" - two to the most self-involved songs ever!