Japanese Braised Daikon
  Re: (...)
I didn't have pork belly when I did this dish. So I used streaky bacon and chop it up to make this. This was a side dish we always have whenever we ate at a Japanese restaurant in Singapore. Its often served slightly cold. And I learn the basics from a friend who once studied and work in Japan for several years before returning to Singapore.

Really easy to do..

[Image: braisedaikon.jpg]

Ingredients
1 large daikon(radish)
100ml Japanese soy sauce
50ml Mirin
500ml water
50g bacon bits
50g sugar

Method
1. Peel daikon and cut into thick chunks.
2. Heat up a claypot with rest of the ingredients till it boils
3. Add daikon slices and leave it to cook till it boils again.
4. Once it starts boiling, turn heat to low.
5. Cover the claypot leaving a small hole and simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
6. Serve warm.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by Gina_Choong (I didn't have pork b...)
"Its often served slightly cold." Sounds good in this heat. And luckily I've seen this veggie at the grocery in town. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks, Gina!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by Gourmet_Mom ("Its often served sl...)
Sounds delicious, Gina. I have a feeling we are going to learn how to use all kinds of interesting foods with you in our midst. Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by Mare749 (Sounds delicious, Gi...)
Maryann

I am into healthy cooking and also healthy baking now. Been very ill for 2 years and my doctor is scolding me..! I have to re-work all my family favourites and cook wholesome, yummy food and still very healthy at the same time.

People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by Gina_Choong (Maryann[br][br]I am ...)
I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad couple of years, health-wise, Gina, but with healthy recipes you kind of had a head start with those wonderful ideas you had when your daughter was watching her weight.

This sounds very tasty, Gina and I bet some diced up pork belly cooked in hoisin will be very good added to it. Thanks for posting.

How timely is Gina's arrival for you, Daphne with your cookbook choices for this month!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by cjs (I'm sorry to hear yo...)
I know! Are you talking about the Charcuterie? Gina, I've finally found a source for pork bellies. Got any goodies? And if your friend has some tips about sushi, I'm going to be playing with that, too.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by Gourmet_Mom (I know! Are you tal...)
I don't have a clay pot, would a standard pot due? Or is there a specific reason to use a clay one?

Sounds like a perfect recipe for light eating
  Re: Re: Japanese Braised Daikon by DFen911 (I don't have a clay ...)
Claypot is used because it retains the full flavour of the dish. If you use a metal pot, the taste is more metallic.

As long as the pot is not made of metal, its fine. You can use those casserole pot or slow cooker.

tasteoftime.blogspot.com