Breaded Salmon Belly
  Re: (...)
Once I start posting, I can't stop. So I don't know if its a good thing or bad.

Salmon is something that everyone loves. So 'user-friendly' to be exact. But I always wonder what people do to the belly of the fish. I did this last year..just a try out. Now its our family's favourite dish to have.

[Image: BreadedSalmonBelly.jpg]

Ingredients
200g salmon belly
pinch of sea salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
100g bread crumbs(Japanese type)

Method
1. Cut the salmon belly into thick chunks.
2. Marinate with sea salt and egg
3. Coat with bread crumbs generously on both sides.
4. Deep fry in hot oil for 5 mins till golden brown
5. Drain on kitchen towels
6. Serve hot with mayo or salad cream or your favourite ketchup.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gina_Choong (Once I start posting...)
Well, it didn't take you long to stump me...LOL! What is salmon belly?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gourmet_Mom (Well, it didn't take...)
LOL...that figures! So its a local thing here in Singapore I guess. In supermarkets here, they would slice up the whole salmon and repacked into different cuts. One pack would often be labelled as "salmon belly"

Its the part of the body of the salmon..the belly, complete with the skin. Its very smooth, the meat is very tender and somewhat 'silky'. It has no bones and loads of good fish collagen.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gina_Choong (LOL...that figures! ...)
So you're talking the actual stomach of the fish, huh. Interesting.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gourmet_Mom (So you're talking th...)
Is this the actual stomach or the flesh that surrounds it? Our fish markets "gut" the fish, even if you are buying a whole fish.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Mare749 (Is this the actual s...)
its the flesh that surrounds it.

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gina_Choong (its the flesh that s...)
okay, I found a source for the photo..

http://www.seafoodsales.dk/products/indu...ellies.htm

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gina_Choong (okay, I found a sour...)
I always cut that off my salmon and use in other ways also. When you cook it left attached, it is so overcooked, it awful! And, what perfect timing for a little self-serving posting - this recipe is slated for the next book.

So, don't anyone throw away salmon belly scraps - Gina and I will come get you!

SALMON SPREAD
When working with salmon I always cut off the very thin parts of the fish, which is the 'belly' that will inevitably be over cooked; and this is the best use I have found for them – it is delicious.

1 cup water
1 bottle of beer
1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. minced rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 lb. salmon belly scraps, diced
8 oz. cream cheese
1 tub Alouette cheese spread
1/2 cup minced celery
2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped or grated through the large holes of a grater
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup capers, if using large capers, roughly chop
Garnish: Minced red onions and/or grated hard-cook egg.

Bring the water, beer, Worcestershire, rosemary and garlic to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the salmon pieces and cook 2 minutes; drain and chill the salmon.

In a food processor or bowl, mix together the cream cheese and Alouette cheese spread incorporating completely. Turn out into a mixing bowl; add the celery, eggs and onions and combine. When salmon is cool, gently fold into the cheese mixture with the capers. Transfer to serving bowl or mold.

Garnish with minced red onion and grated hard-cooked egg.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by cjs (I always cut that of...)
Okay, now I get it! This was what I thought originally. So when I do a barrel cut (squaring off the meatier part of the salmon) for gravalox, I use the part I cut off, for one of these recipes! GOT IT!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Breaded Salmon Belly by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, now I get it! ...)
Yup!! When I was at the hotel, I used to make salmon candy for the staff out of them....hmmm, how did I do that?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com