Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen)
  Re: (...)
This is trial n error and much guess work as the recipe was not told of during the cooking show on Singapore's local TV channel's World Kitchen programme.

The noodles have a slight hint of fish flavour but doesn't have the strong stinky fishy smell. Provided you use fresh fish. The taste is unique and the texture is similar to the Teochew Soon Kueh skin where its soft and slightly chewy.

However, I felt that this noodle is best to serve with a flavourful soup like Curry or Laksa so that it can absorb the taste of the soup too.

[Image: FishPasteNoodles.jpg]

cooked in laksa curry, this noodle tasted even better. Hubby loved it!
[Image: FishPLaksa.jpg]

Serves 2 persons
Ingredients:
110g fresh fish fillet
50g Rice Flour
40ml boiling hot water
1/4 tsp salt

Method:
1. Add salt to fish and blend till paste like. Set aside
[Image: fishpaste.jpg]

2. mix Rice flour with hot water, stir to form a dough.
3. Add to the fish paste and stir till well mixed.
[Image: ready2cook.jpg]

4. Use a cookie press and add some of the fish paste inside(i use my Muruku press 8) for this)
[Image: putinside.jpg]
[Image: pressnoodles.jpg]

5. Boil water in wok till boiling point.
6. Press noodles straight into the hot water to cook.
[Image: cookinwater.jpg]

7. Cook for 3 to 5 mins and sieve out from hot water into a pot of tap water.
[Image: soakinwater.jpg]

8. Cook as per your recipe and add noodles to cook.

Why I didn't use the Pasta Machine
I don't want the machine to smell of fish.
Since i cannot wash it under a running tap.
So i use a Muruku press to squeeze out the paste into noodles form.

A Muruku press is an Indian tool to make Indian snacks. Use your cookie press for the same effects.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Gina_Choong (This is trial n erro...)
Isn't this interesting. Now if I knew ANYTHING about Curry or Laksa soup. I think I get the Curry soup, but Laksa?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering how this would taste in leftover broth from a clam bake! With a few tidbits of the leftover clams, potato bits, and onion from the clam bake thrown in?!?! YUM!

And I just checked, 110 grams of fish equals about 4 oz/1/4 pound. A good use of some fish scraps, I'm thinking! Gina, I'm assuming this is raw fish? Or not?

Gina, this is saved for sure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Gourmet_Mom (Isn't this interesti...)
Cool!

Gina, how about making ramen noodles (even if I am a gaijin)?
No short-cuts or Americanisation, please, but the real thing. Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by labradors (Cool![br][br]Gina, h...)
Gina, this is really fascinating. I have an extruder that I never had much luck with, but just might have to dig it out and try it again. So, I'm thinking maybe just serve it up in a fish broth?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Mare749 (Gina, this is really...)
Maryann, you'd still have that fish smell/flavor in your machine. Aren't there parts of that you can't wash? Maybe not. It's been a while since I used that...a frustrating experience.

I'm thinking a zip lock with a the corner snipped would work if you don't have a cookie press.

Luckily, I have William's grandmother's cookie press. I'm betting she'd NEVER imagine using it for something like this...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, you'd still...)
Oh, you're right! Those parts were plastic and would definately retain the fish smell. I do have a cookie press, but I'm trying to think which attachment I would use to get noodles.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Mare749 (Oh, you're right! T...)
its raw fish. Thus I wrote in my notes that I won't use the pasta machine with it.

Best to use fish fillet that has little bones, meat should be off white. if you use tuna or salmon, the noodle colour may change.

laksa is a malay dish that is made with rempah or chilli paste that is freshly pounded with herbs/spices and cook in coconut cream.

I love Laksa!
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Fish Paste noodles(adapted from World Kitchen) by Gina_Choong (its raw fish. Thus I...)
How close would THIS be to authentic ramen noodles? It says to cut the noodles (one other recipe even suggested using the angel-hair attachment on a pasta machine), but I thought they were pulled or stretched. Other than that, is the rest correct? If so, what is the proper procedure for stretching the noodles instead of cutting them? If not, what IS correct?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?