How to make ramen noodles from scratch?
  Re: (...)
The subject line says it all: how does one make ramen noodles from scratch?

Although I've posted messages asking Cis for the recipe she used and asking Gina if she has a recipe for the noodles, neither ever replied at all.

So, how DOES one make ramen noodles, and what is the stretching/pulling method that the Japanese use instead of cutting the noodles?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by labradors (The subject line say...)
Oh Labs, that stretching/pulling method is fascinating to watch, isn't it? I have no idea how they manage it. I know the mechanics of it, just have never tried.

Good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by cjs (Oh Labs, that stretc...)
I have no idea, but I wish you luck.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by Gourmet_Mom (I have no idea, but ...)
Oh, so sorry, Rob I didn't see a post asking that.
I don't remember the website I used that day I was messing around with them, but it wasn't the pull and stretch method you're looking for. I'm pretty sure I just ran them thru the pasta machine on the skinny cutters. And also, if I remember right, it was really just an egg noodle type recipe. So, it wasn't an authentic Ramen Soup, just something to do on a dull day. Sorry, I wish I could be more help.
ps They do show some of it in the movie Ramen Girl, but probbly not what you are looking for
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by farnfam (Oh, so sorry, Rob [i...)
Quote:

They do show some of it in the movie Ramen Girl, but probbly not what you are looking for

Actually, your thread about the movie is where I posted my request for the recipe. You did mention your using the "pasta queen." I'd still like to see that recipe, though, so I may compare it to others I have found, especially since it the only one that someone I know has tried. May need to go back to The Ramen Girl (maybe even Tampopo) to see if it's possible to glean anything about the stretching.
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sorry, Rob, I just don't remember where I got that recipe or what it was.
When I make other pasta I use 1 egg to 1 cup flour and good pinch of salt per person, give or take
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by farnfam (Sorry, Rob, I just d...)
HERE is one of the recipes I found. It just has you cut the dough with a knife, rather than using a pasta machine. So far, I haven't found much about the stretching. Most things that mention the stretching do so by saying something like "traditional ramen is stretched into its strands, but we'll use a pasta machine [or cut them with a knife] to make it easier."

Edit: Just found THIS page. The recipe uses a pasta machine, but the visitor comments have a number of things about the stretching. They also mention something I had seen in a few other place: that traditional ramen doesn't use eggs, but uses an ingredient called kansui for the characteristic colour and texture.

Finally, after more searching, this time through YouTube, I found a bunch of good information, including THIS PAGE, THIS VIDEO and THIS VIDEO, THIS VIDEO and THIS VIDEO. Much of it has to do with CHINESE pulled noodles, but that's the supposed origin of ramen, anyway.

Check them out!
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by labradors ([url=http://www.inst...)
hi..its not that I didn't answer, its just that I am very busy on weekdays. Only free on weekends to come here and provide recipes and photos step by step. I do have a la-mein recipe complete with full photos. La mein is a chinese word for Pulled Noodles.

if you are not in a hurry for the recipes, please wait till weekend.

I just pop by to say Hello and answer any queries based on my posted recipes.

sorry..
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by Gina_Choong (hi..its not that I d...)
No problem waiting, Gina. Sounds great, and I anticipate it eagerly.
  Re: Re: How to make ramen noodles from scratch? by labradors (No problem waiting, ...)
You're amazing, Labs. I don't know if I could be paid enough to actually make ramen noodles! Good luck!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com