Room Temperature Question
  Re: (...)
I have this recipe for Beer Can Chicken from Food & Wine that I have been putting off making for weeks. One reason is it's so multi-step. The time has come, but I forgot to put it in the marinade last night. In the directions, it says: "Rub the marinade over the chicken and refrigerate overnight, or let stand for 4 hours at room temperature."

Is this safe? I'm probably just going to go put it in the marinade now....close enough to overnight, but just curious.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Room Temperature Question by Gourmet_Mom (I have this recipe f...)
Hmmm, if the chicken was cold from the fridge, I'd let it stand 4hrs at room temp, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Jean will know this, I bet. Just as a side thought tho' if you cook the chicken well, wouldn't that kill anything that may "grow"?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by farnfam (Hmmm, if the chicken...)
In our weather, I'd be tempted by the four hours, but your heat - I'm too chicken....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by cjs (In our weather, I'd ...)
Quote:

I'm too chicken

Good one! My kitchen is too hot to leave chicken out for 4 hours.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
That's what I thought. And to be honest, I'm too "chicken" to do it in the dead of winter.

It's resting nicely in the fridge. It may not get to marinade long enough, but I'm cooking the darn thing today! I'm tired of this one hanging over my head...LOL! Plus, I've been anxious to try the Sweet and Sticky Barbecue Sauce that goes with this.

To show you how complicated this recipe is, not only does it marinate, there's a Seven Spice Rub, an Apple Cider Mop (spray every 45 minutes while rotating chicken for 3 hours at 225 degrees), THEN split it and return it to a hot grill to glaze with the sauce.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by Gourmet_Mom (That's what I though...)
oh my, sounds delicous.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by cjs (oh my, sounds delico...)
I know I'm not the only one looking forward to hearing about this one, Daphne!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by Mare749 (I know I'm not the o...)
LOL! I just realized I may have solved my marinade timing problem. I was looking to see if the recipe was online. When I found it, I started clicking around and have realized this recipe is actually part of a BIG Barbecue article in the magazine, April 2005, Height of Pit Cuisine. The chef featured is Adam Perry Lang and he was doing a BBQ on a ranch where he dug a big pit and cooked up the chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket...all using the marinade, rub, mop/spray, and sauce. I was only supposed to rub 2 T of the marinade on the chicken....LOL! I used it all! This oughta be some really garlicky chicken....10 cloves!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by Gourmet_Mom (That's what I though...)
Quote:

Apple Cider Mop

i don't know if you'd ever made one before, but we love it. We use it on pulled pork/chicken/brisket. It's great stuff!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Room Temperature Question by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
You know, since it appears my sprayer sprouted legs, and I've got to go to the store anyway. AND I have all that luscious sauce, I think I'm going to have to make his baked beans to go with this.
Daphne