Look what I did today!
  Re: (...)
They're not perfect, but it was exciting to learn how easy this is. William was so thrilled, he ate WAY too much. Dinner has been postponed to tomorrow...LOL!

[Image: DSC04800.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Look what I did today! by Gourmet_Mom (They're not perfect,...)
Congratulations! Your sushi looks wonderful. What a fun way to spend and afternoon. I love that you included the ginger and wasabi...two of my favorite things.
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by karyn (Congratulations! You...)
I forgot to add...I was afraid to try the inside out sushi, but that's my favorite kind. Oddly enough, it was easier to keep the "filling" centered. Now to work on not overdoing the rice.

Salmon is next! I'll put some salmon on to cure for gravalox the first of next week, and then have another sushi lesson mid-week. I made forty rolls, and even with William's gorging on them, there's still a box full for several days. Plus, I've got bacon to smoke this weekend!
Daphne
  Re: Look what I did today! by Gourmet_Mom (They're not perfect,...)
Those are beautiful!!! Another reason to be thankful for the trip to CA - good fresh fish. I'll try to find the recipe and pictures from the time Jean and I did sushi. It used salmon, cucumbers, and avocado wrapped around the rice.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by Gourmet_Mom (I forgot to add...I ...)
Great job, Daphne! I'm really impressed. That's one of those things that I love to buy once in a while, but have never tried to make them. Always looked too tedious. I'm sure with a couple more practice sessions, you will have it down to a science exactly how you like them.

Did William actually eat ALL that wasabi! That man sure does like the hot stuff!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by Mare749 (Great job, Daphne! ...)
Those look great!!!! I am so impressed. I've only done it once and they didn't look anywhere near as good as yours does
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by DFen911 (Those look great!!!!...)
Thanks you guys! I was shocked at how easy it turned out to be.

Sharon, I thought I'd try salmon (gravalox) next week, but add some chive or green onion. Speaking of the salmon...did you slice it on the bias really thin and just pile it up, or cut it into rectangular blocks?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! I ...)
That is just georgous Daphne!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks you guys! I ...)
It was very thin slices laid on a diagonal on the saran, in alternating rows with cucumber, and shrimp.

Tazyba Zushi

1 small cucumber
salt
8 medium raw shrimp - heads removed
Sumeshi rice - 1 1/4c rice, 1 tbs. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt
2 oz. smoked salmon sliced into 2 x 1/2" strips.

Cut cucumber very thinly lengthwise, sprinkle with salt and let stand 15 minutes. Wash off salt and cut into 2 x 1/3" strips

insert a bamboo skewer lengthwise into body of each shrimp to stop it's curling. Boil in salted water 2 or 3 minutes. Remove skewer, peel off shell and tail, then cut in half along spine.

Cover mat with a piece of saran. Spread 1/4 of the rice over it and roll it as an 8" long cylinder. Carefully remove plastic wrap from rice roll. Make 4 rolls and set aside.

Wrap mat in plastic wrap, tucking ends underneath mat and alternately lay salmon strips, 2 slices of cucumber, and shrimp side by side diagonally on the mat to make stripes. Repeat to cover mat.

Put rice roll on top and roll mat again. Wrap plastic wrap firmly around roll and remove mat. Cut through plastic wrap into 4 pieces. Repeat to make another 3 rolls.

Remove plastic wrap and serve sushi with shoyu.

These are so pretty and so very very good. I can't wait to make them again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Look what I did today! by Harborwitch (It was very thin sli...)
Okay, I had to read this three times to get it, but then Big Brother is on, too. I think I've got it. There's a picture of this on page 59 in the Sushi Made Easy book. I remember the picture was really pretty, but I like the idea of the salmon, cuke, shrimp combo. I think that's what I'll try, also! But I think I'm going to try it with the cured salmon instead of smoked...maybe. And I still think I might throw in some green onion (green ends) or chive, too. Thanks, Sharon!
Daphne