Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding)
  Re: (...)
I don't usually bake for sale. But this lady was someone I knew from young and watch her grew up. Her mom came to me early 2009 and ask me to help her to do. After suffering a stroke, she was unable to bake the cake for her only child. I have been friends with them for as long as I can remember. Its a favour I can't seem to run away from.

Here's the Bride's story.
http://rushin.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/t...with-love/

Here's the recipe for it. Even if you don't use it for a wedding, you can use this for any birthdays you are planning to do with your loved ones.

The Ultimate cake for a wedding.

[Image: rushincake.jpg]

[Image: SCFairyCake2.jpg]

I soak the cherries in a very large wine jar. And it was left outside the fridge. If you are soaking a smaller portion, you can leave it in the fridge.
[Image: soakingcherries.jpg]
Ingredients
250g salted butter(soften in room temperature)
120g fine sugar
4 eggs(room temperature)
200g plain flour

1 can of Dark Sweet cherries(S&W brand)
400ml Cointreau(orange liquor)

Method
1. Drain cherries from the can. Put the cherries in a glass jar to soak with liquor.
2. Leave this jar in the fridge and covered. Soak for at least 7 days.
3. Drain from liquor and leave aside. Do not discard the liquor. You can add 7 Up or Sprite to it to drink.
4. Whip butter and sugar on high speed for 10 minutes.
5. Note that you must whip until the butter look very pale yellow.
6. Then lower the speed, add eggs one at a time
7. Continue to whip for 5 mins.
8. Add flour and continue to whip for 2 to 3 mins or until its evenly mixed.
9. Lastly add the cherries. Do not turn up the speed. Or the cherries will crush.
10. Pour batter into cake pans .
11. Baked in preheated oven 180C for 35 to 40 mins.
12. Leave to cool in the oven. Then removed.
13. Best to eat this after its aged for 1 day.

Natasha(my eldest daughter) help me to take at the church that day.

Close up of the cake
[Image: RushinCake1.jpg]
[Image: rushincake2.jpg]

The Gold wedding favours box and the stickers on it. The stickers are made of cloth material.
It was stacked up like a pyramid and place on two Coffee tables so that the guests can pick it up when they help themselves with drinks and refreshments.
[Image: goldboxes3.jpg]
[Image: goldbox1.jpg]

Overall picture
[Image: rushincake4.jpg]

View from the top
[Image: rushincake6.jpg]
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Gina_Choong (I don't usually bake...)
What a lovely cake! It sounds wonderful! A fairy cake, huh? I'm going to save this. I don't make cakes very often, but this may be the next one. I'm intrigued. Thanks Gina!

Wait, I just checked back. That's a LOT of cherries. Since I can't count on getting the brand of cherries you're talking about, what would you guess the measure is?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Gourmet_Mom (What a lovely cake! ...)
What a beautiful cake, Gina. You must have spent a good deal of time working on that. The favor boxes are so pretty. I love how they are presented.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Mare749 (What a beautiful cak...)
Thanks all...! After this, I got many wedding orders for the same cake, but different designs. I had to turn down all of them.

This was made for someone I knew..since birth, till the day she walked down the aisle. It was special. And I did it because she gave me the honour to do it for her.

Daphne, the cherries in a can also came from USA. Under this brand called S&W.
Here's what I found from the NET

http://www.best-price.com/product/s-w-da...9747109/1/

Maryann,
the favor boxes are made in China, so are the little bride n groom stickers. its made of ribbon material.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Gina_Choong (Thanks all...! [img]...)
Oh, okay, I see what you have. Thanks Gina!

Now another question...the recipe you posted is obviously scaled down. It looks like (from the picture of the un-iced cake) that you used rectangular loaf pans. How many does this make, and could it be poured into an equal number of round cake pans?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay, I see what...)
Daphne

yes of course its scaled down. If you use the above recipe, you can make 2 good loaves.
or a good 9 inch round cake with a 2 inch height.

To make the bottom tier of the wedding cake(that's 12 inches in diameter and 3 inches in height) I had 4 times that recipe!

In all, to bake the same cake for 500 guests, I baked 10 sets of 12 inches cakes. After that episode, I stopped having cakes for as long as 3 months! LOL!

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Gina_Choong (I don't usually bake...)
Wow! Beautiful cake and a lovely story behind it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Gina that is such a beautiful cake. Did you do all the flowers too????

The cake sounds wonderful. Might have to save that recipe for some wonderful occasion.

I can imagine why you didn't want any cakes for a while afterwards.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sweet Cherries Fairy Cake (fit for a wedding) by Harborwitch (Gina that is such a ...)
Thanks, Gina.
Daphne
Hi, Gina, that's a beautiful cake. As much as I bake, I still have to stop and figure out why some recipes call for AP and others, low protein. I'm assuming the addition of the cherries require a higher protein flour for support?

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain

PJ
PJ