Shrimp: feeling left out
  Re: (...)
No matter where I turn, people are always talking about the latest shrimp recipe they had, posting shrimp recipes, advertising shrimp restaurant specials, etc. At times, it feels as though (apart from those with allergies) I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like and won't eat shrimp. I even saw a great-sounding recipe, on TV, for "Grouper in Cream of Garlic and Roasted Sweet Peppers," where everything seemed wonderful until the guy said, "next, add the shrimp." WHAT? That recipe title didn't say anything about shrimp! Well, forget about that one!

In all honesty, I have TRIED shrimp many different ways over many years, but have NEVER liked them, so it's certainly not from a lack of trying.

That brings me to my questions for all the shrimp lovers on the forum: If someone like me really wanted to TRY to like shrimp and to give it a fair chance, what recipe would you suggest as the most likely to be enjoyed? If you didn't like shrimp, originally, what got you to like it?

In other words: How can somebody who hates shrimp come to like it?

Thanks,
Signed: the shrimp-challenged Labs
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by labradors (No matter where I tu...)
Rob, I don't love shrimp, and my husband can't eat it. But there are two dishes I really enjoy. Coconut fried shrimp (C@H has a good recipe with red pepper dipping sauce that is really good - maybe someone already has this tpyed up?)

And Canlis shrimp or a shrimp scampi.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Canlis Prawns

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 Black Tiger Prawns -- 16/20s, shells removed and reserved (5 to 15)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice -- fresh squeezed
1/4 cup vermouth -- Lejon Extra Dry
1/4 cup Shrimp Butter (recipe follows)
sea salt & pepper to taste
baby greens for garnish

Heat a stainless steel pan with the olive oil on high heat. Just before smoking point, add cleaned prawns and sear, adding salt and pepper. When half cooked, pour off excess oil and add garlic. Remove the pan from the heat and de-glaze with vermouth and lime juice. Add the chilies, return pan back to the heat, and reduce liquid by half. Add Shrimp Butter and adjust seasoning. Remove prawns and arrange on the plate around baby greens. Finish with sauce coating the tops of the prawns. Shrimp Butter: Roast the shrimp shells in convection oven at 500° for 2 minutes, or until pink. Add shells to blender with an equal amount of boiling hot butter and let blend for a few minutes until the shells are completely broken down. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and chill in an ice bath, whisking the butter to bring it back together.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.canlis.com/food/recipes-prawns.aspx"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by esgunn (Rob, I don't love s...)
Labs, the first one to come to mind is my Alexander Sauce and top a steak with it or toss with pasta. Now if you don't like crab either...this won't work. I do half and half crab to shrimp. You could also reduce the shrimp and add more crab.

Regarding your dislike of shrimp, I'll tell you a recently learned fact. BG, Ashley never liked shrimp. Oddly, I had never noticed since there were always other things to eat when we had it, and my kids were taught not to turn their nose up with what was presented to them. Try it, if you don't like it, find something else on the table to eat. ANYWAY, she LOVES crab and would eat the Alexander Sauce. But in the past year, she learned to love shrimp any way you can imagine...even plain ol' peel and eat. In the past month, she finally made the connection of some stomach problems she had been having to the shrimp. We have decided that her earlier dislike for shrimp was just her body's way of telling her not to eat it...LOL!

Anyway, if you don't have the Alexander Sauce recipe, let me know and I'll post it. It's a yummy cream based sauce. I've had it with shrimp, shrimp and scallops, shrimp and crab, and just crab.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, the first one ...)
Not to take this down too far.....Daphne that is the way I am with crab and hubby is with Shrimp. Not really an alergic reaction, but our systems sure don't seem to care for it. Maybe too rich?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, the first one ...)
Quote:

Labs, the first one to come to mind is my Alexander Sauce and top a steak with it or toss with pasta. Now if you don't like crab either...this won't work. I do half and half crab to shrimp. You could also reduce the shrimp and add more crab.

That's the odd thing: I love lobster, crab and crawfish, but the shrimp and prawns have always turned me off. As I said, though, it's never been from a lack of trying.

Quote:

Anyway, if you don't have the Alexander Sauce recipe, let me know and I'll post it. It's a yummy cream based sauce. I've had it with shrimp, shrimp and scallops, shrimp and crab, and just crab.

Sure! Go ahead. Not sure WHEN I'll try it, but I'll collect all the ideas you all post and ponder them for a while.

BTW, scallops, clams, mussels and oysters are no-nos for me, too, but I DO have a childhood memory to explain that. When I was still a preschooler, we were eating in a restaurant and my parents got me to try a scallop...
...which I promptly vomited all over the table. Fortunately, I no longer react THAT way, but I still don't like any of the bivalve molusks.
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
HMMM? Ashley LOVES and enjoys the bivalves. So sad that you have to miss out on so many yummy seafood delights! I've got a question...Ashley realized when she caught onto the shrimp affect to her system, lobster does the same. She can eat it, but she pays in the end. So that may help you figure out your shrimp aversion...if you enjoy lobster, it's not a digestive problem.

At that point I'd say it's an aversion connected to your experience with the bivalves. That's what threw me on cheese. From a childhood experience, EXACTLY like yours, I could not eat it until the past few years. I went from mild cheeses to now eating blue cheese and enjoying it.

I don't know if any of this helps, but there it is.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by esgunn (Not to take this dow...)
Labs, my favorite way to eat shrimp is using Jean's recipe for roasted garlic shrimp. Since she has already posted it on the forum, I don't think she will mind if I post it again. This is the recipe that I used today with jumbo shrimp and we put them on the grill. Fantastic.

Garlic Roasted Shrimp

Recipe By :Chef Jean Denham
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 lbs. shrimp -- cleaned and peeled
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt & cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 450°. On a heavy baking sheet mix together the garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper; add the cleaned shrimp and toss all together gently.

Spread out in a single layer. Roast for 3 min, turn shrimp over & continue roasting till the shrimp are opaque and firm, another 2-4 min.

Transfer shrimp to a shallow dish, cover partially & refrigerate. (be sure to scrape the bottom of the b. sheet and add to the shrimp. Refrigerate until chilled. (or start eating)

Description:
"This is by far our favorite was to eat (and use) shrimp!"

Jean's NOTES : Note for other use: To use as a topping for hot cooked rice or pasta, just add as it comes from the oven and toss gently to combine.

Don't cook any more than the time states - they will be perfect. I usually continue roasting for 3 min. after turning over, don't think I've ever gone 4 min.
--------------------------------------------------------

My other favorite way to use shrimp is in a pasta dish that my friend Bernadette made up, and can be varied any number of ways to suit your own taste.

Bernadette's Seafood Alfredo with Penne

Recipe By :
Categories :

1 recipe alfredo sauce (or use jarred)
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (I like to use stewed--they have more flavor)
1 pound fresh shrimp and scallops
8 ounces penne pasta

Saute shrimp and scallops in a little oil just until cooked. Add them to sauce just before serving. Serve over cooked penne pasta.
---------------------------------------------------------
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by Mare749 (Labs, my favorite wa...)
Here's the Alexander Sauce:

Alexander Sauce (cream sauce with crab and shrimp)

Recipe By :
Categories : Seafood

6 tbsp unsalted butter -- divided
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup small shrimp -- uncooked
5 oz crabmeat -- white lump

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the cream and clam juice. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. In another saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minutes. Add the crabmeat and cook about 1 minute. Stir into cream mixture.

I just remembered two more:

The mac and cheese would off set the shrimp enough that you may like it...if you like box mac and cheese...but a GREAT summer favorite, which reminds me, I need to make this soon.

Macaroni and Cheese Salad

Recipe By :Mom
Categories : Sides and Sauces

1 box macaroni and cheese -- prepared
1/2 onion -- chopped fine
1 stalk celery -- chopped fine
1/2 green pepper -- chopped fine
2 dill pickles -- chopped fine
1 cup mayonnaise -- must be Hellmann's
red pepper -- to taste
garlic salt -- to taste
black pepper -- to taste
salt -- to taste
1/2 pound shrimp -- coarsely chopped

Mix all together except shrimp. Fold in shrimp and chill. (Measurements are approximate. No measurements were given in the recipe.)

Description:
"This salad was lost years ago. I was so excited when I found it in an old recipe box!"

The cream and veggies in this should "dilute" the flavor of the shrimp in this one, but who knows?

Garden Picken Pasta Primavera

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

3 medium squash -- sliced
3 medium zucchini -- sliced
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
10 ounces snow peas -- thawed if frozen
3 green onions -- chopped
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1/2 pound mushrooms -- sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups cherry tomatoes -- cut in halves
1/2 cup parsley -- chopped
1/2 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
1 pound spaghetti
1/2 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
2 tablespoons basil -- chopped
1 1/2 pounds shrimp -- or 2 pounds

In a large pot, in salted water, blanch squash, zucchini, broccoli, and peas for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. (I don't think we used all the veggies when adding shrimp....just broccoli and snow peas.)

Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil in skillet over medium heat until onions are soft. Add tomatoes, parsley, and pecans. (We didn't use the pecans.) Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Cook spaghetti by package directions; drain.

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. (This is where we cooked the shrimp.) Add heavy cream, Parmesan, and basil. Cook stirring until sauce is creamy. Remove from heat and add all vegetables, tossing gently to coat. Spoon over cooked spaghetti. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.

Description:
""A good friend shared this recipe with me years ago. We used to make it and add shrimp for the best primavera ever!""
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by Gourmet_Mom (Here's the Alexander...)
Those recipes sound awesome! Labs, my DH doesn't like shrimp or lobster. I've found that substituting scallops usually works. The flavor and texture are obviously different, but any seasonings or sauces that I'd like to use with shrimp usually work with scallops as well.

Unfortunately, around here at least, scallops tend to be MUCH more expensive....
  Re: Re: Shrimp: feeling left out by karyn (Those recipes sound ...)
Okay. Lots of neat ideas, but the comments, so far, bring another question to mind: Would it help me to try a particular TYPE of shrimp - regular shrimp, jumbo shrimp, pranws, king prawns...?

As far as I can tell, it's not a digestive issue - just the taste. Maybe it goes along with my not liking stronger, fishy-tasting fish (e.g. I love cod, haddock, pollack, flounder, grouper, red snapper, snook, tilapia, trout, etc., but not salmon, bluefish, mackerel, canned tuna, etc.). I'm also not a fan of herring, sardines and anchovies, but am okay with using a little bit of Thai fish sauce or oyster sauce in certain Asian recipes.