Guangzhou Fried Rice
  Re: (...)
I decided to call it Guangzhou Fried rice because this was the dish I had on my last day in Guangzhou, China on the 22nd January 2008. I do not know if this is the right way to cook this rice. But this method works for me.

[Image: guangzhouchowfan.jpg]

Serves 4
Ingredients
4 cups of cooked cold rice
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 chinese sausages, diced
100g prawn meat, diced
100g green mustard leaves/stalks(chye sim), diced
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper

Method
1. Heat up the wok with 50 ml corn oil and add diced sausages, prawns to stir fry till cooked. Dish out and set aside.

2. Add cold rice to stir fry over high fire for 3 minutes.

3. Drizzle egg yolk on it.
[Image: addyolktorice.jpg]

4. Quickly stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes till the rice is coated with yolk and is even in colour.
[Image: frymix.jpg]

5. Lastly, add fried meats, vegetables, salt, pepper and stir fry till veggies are cooked.

6. Serve hot.

Notes
1. Best to use overnight cooked rice that is cold from the fridge.
2. If you are cooking for 2 persons, just use 2 cups of rice, 2 yolks.
3. You can add honey baked ham or turkey ham and other types of vegetables.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by Gina_Choong (I decided to call it...)
Gina this sounds great, the wok is definitely going in the motorhome. Thanks for sharing this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Looks beautiful. I love making fried rice and this looks like a wonderful version.

I will give it a try!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by luvnit (Looks beautiful. I ...)
Some of your bacon would be delicious in this, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by cjs (Some of your bacon w...)
I think you're right, Jean. It's funny, this is exactly how I make mine but with salt cured ham instead of the sausage. Cool!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by Gourmet_Mom (I think you're right...)
Beautiful!
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by Trixxee (Beautiful!...)
Yum! Thanks for posting the recipe Gina. I love fried rice, and the savory bacon would be really good in it, I think.
This looks wonderful, Gina! Copied and printed. One of my kids loves rice and veggies. This is perfect for him to cook up and take to work.

Thank you for posting.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by pjcooks (This looks wonderful...)
PJ, I have meant to add one more thing I do differently with this recipe. I throw in a couple of big handfuls of sliced green onion and tops at the end. That's how the little old Vietnamese lady did it years ago at William's favorite restaurant. I think her daughter has continued the practice at her restaurant, Loco Joe's, but I'm not sure...Maryann? You've had it more recently than I have...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Guangzhou Fried Rice by Gourmet_Mom (PJ, I have meant to ...)
No, I don't seem to remember having green onions on top of my rice, Daphne. But then, all I can think about is how yummy that rice was and I still haven't figured out how to make it. Since it had shrimp in it, I'm thinking that maybe it was made with some shrimp stock. But, it was also slightly sweet, so I'm wondering if it's the type of rice they use or if they add a little coconut juice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."