Can I freeze this????
  Re: (...)
I think I mentioned somewhere else that I made a freaking ton of this (doubled the recipe) for a pot luck where it never saw light of day (stayed on ice). We love this stuff, but 2 people can only eat so much of it . . . . . so just wondering - minus the garnish, can this be frozen?????

MAGIC SALAD
1 C. Raw Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions.
1 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 C. diced, seeded tomatoes.
1 C. diced red onion
1/2. diced golden bell pepper
1 diced green bell pepper
1/2 diced red bell pepper
1/4 C. seeded diced jalapeno pepper, adjust to personal taste
1/8 C. seeded diced red chili pepper, adjust to personal taste
4 T chopped garlic
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped - reserve 3 T for garnish
DRESSING
1 C catsup
1/2 C. red wine vinegar
1/4 C. olive oil
4 T finely chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp. crushed roasted peppercorns
3 T Southwest seasoning (or Taco Seasoning)
4 T fresh lime juice
7 finely chopped pickled serrano chiles, adjust to personal taste
2 small canned chipotle chiles finely chopped, adjust to personal taste
1 tsp. jalapeno Tabasco sauce
Salt to taste
GARNISH
1 C. grated cheese (pepperjack, cheddar, or monterey jack or a combination)
2 Sliced avocados
reserved cilantro

Cool cooked rice and fluff with a fork. Place black beans and rice in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Combine well.

In a separate bowl combine all the dressing ingredients and taste for seasoning. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving. Garnish with grated cheese, avocado slices and reserved cilantro.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Can I freeze this???? by Harborwitch (I think I mentioned ...)
I have no experience at all freezing that type of salad, but I do freeze diced veggies all the time when I have an excess like celery that I know I won't use up fast enough. Although it works fine in soups and stews, that's all it's good for because it gets very watery. The same thing happens with peppers and onions. So, I'm afraid your salad might get watery. What a shame.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Can I freeze this???? by Harborwitch (I think I mentioned ...)
Oh dear, Sharon. I'm with you, I hate to waste food, too. The only thing I can say is that I've frozen rice before, to save for fried rice, and all the other salad ingredients would be fine, but I'm not sure about it mixed with the dressing. On the other hand, it seems it'd be worth the try if you've got the room. Sure beats throwing it out!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Can I freeze this???? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh dear, Sharon. I'...)
I'm thinking that I could freeze flat in bags - then suck them flatter. It might not be great as a salad - but heated as a casserole?????
  Re: Re: Can I freeze this???? by Harborwitch (I'm thinking that I ...)
You're right! That could work! I would certainly try it.
  Re: Re: Can I freeze this???? by Mare749 (You're right! That ...)
We just did some (not enough) for dinner with diced chicken, guacamole, cheese, & crushed fritos. Yummmy but geeze how much can 2 people eat????

I think I'll try to freeze some.
  Re: Re: Can I freeze this???? by Harborwitch (We just did some (no...)
I was going to suggest what you tried - sauteeing it after you've frozen it. Perfect small pkgs. for a breakfast on the road with an egg on top. Good luck with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Can I freeze this???? by cjs (I was going to sugge...)
Thanks Jean - that's a great idea. An egg and a little cheese - perfect breakfast.

This salad is always a huge hit. I developed it when we were flat broke - and it used up bits and pieces that we had on hand. Whenever it went to a pot luck on the Delta it vanished as soon as it hit the table.