Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker
  Re: (...)
Need another favor - just realized I need the instructions for cooking rice in a rice cooker. I had one a hundred years ago, but never used it much as I just do the stovetop or oven method.

I need instructions for white and brown rice if there is any difference - method or time, which I'm sure there is a difference in time. Or do the cookers automatically time the rice cooking? As you can tell, I can't remember anything about them.

Thanks all!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by cjs (Need another favor -...)
Jean, the rice cooker I have, it is built in. There is a button for white rice and a button for brown rice. The brown rice can take up to an hour or more, the white rice takes about 20 to 30 minutes.

One thought and this is wording I run into especially for ice creams: Freeze following manufacturers instructions. So maybe if this is for your book you could word it something like: cook rice in your rice cooker following manufactures instructions.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by esgunn (Jean, the rice cooke...)
sounds like "following manufactures instructions" is the way I'd better go. I sure didn't know there were separate buttons. Thanks Erin and I'll be able to squeeze that in easily!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by cjs (sounds like "followi...)
I agree with Erin, that's the safe way to go. I have a really old unreliable steamer that I used for years. That one turned off immediately once the water was steamed out of it, so you had to know how much water to put in, thus, the book that came with it. My new steamer, the one Billy advised me to get, also has a booklet that tells how long to steam, but has a timer that turns off and goes to a warm setting when done.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by Mare749 (I agree with Erin, t...)
I also rinse my rice really well. And if it's brown rice or basmati rice I soak it for about 10-15 min prior to cooking. This way it has a lot more flavor.
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by DFen911 (I also rinse my rice...)
Maryann I had one of those, it was a gift from a friend and I hated it. It had a removable aluminum liner that had lines on one side for rice and on the other for the appropriate amount of water. The rice was never done right and always stuck. I think it got lost in the move to ND.

Billy gave us a steamer and Bob really loves his rice cooked in that. I'm sure that will have a place in the motorhome. I usually just toast the rice a few minutes in olive oil, peanut oil, or butter add 2 c. of water bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Never fails.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by Harborwitch (Maryann I had one of...)
Man, what a lot of extra pans/work using a rice cooker....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by cjs (Man, what a lot of e...)
A pot on the stove is still the easiest for me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by Harborwitch (A pot on the stove i...)
me too! either stovetop or stick in the oven.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking Rice In a Rice Cooker by cjs (me too! either stove...)
I almost forgot! I used to microwave rice and that always turned out well too. That was back in the day when all I used was Uncle Ben's. Don't really care for it anymore, but it was really easy, something like 8 minutes on high, then 20 minutes on 50%. The directions were on the box.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."