Traveling
  Re: (...)
Once again, William, Cricket, and I are heading to Boone for the weekend. We are going up to see YS. I am really excited about enjoying his company, but I'm also secretly relishing the idea of temps in the low 80's during the day and low 60's at night!!! I'll have the laptop with me and anticipate being able to log in at least a couple of times while gone, but I thought I'd let you guys know, just in case. I'll also have the camera, so if I see something new to report or exceptional food, I'll post another slide show when I return.

ANYWAY, I have a question. Before YS left, I had intended to make him a cheesecake, but it just didn't happen. The last trip...it didn't happen. So this time, I'm determined. The thing is in the oven as I type. I don't know if any of you remember some of my catastrophes with this thing, but they are numerous. Now YS just told me he'd enjoy it if it was stuffed in a jar, but I'd like to try to get it there intact. Theresa is going to guffaw at this when she gets home and reads this, but I'm planning on accomplishing this task while traveling in my Mini....with a full grown Lab! The boot is not an option...we're lucky to get our clothes stuffed in there. The back seat is Cricket's domain during the trip. That leaves the front foot and/or my lap.

See if you think this will work? My pan came as part of a nested set. There is another pan, larger than the one the cake is in, that SHOULD fit over the top of the pan the cake is in. (I'm planning on leaving it in the pan until we get there.) I have an insulated "bag" that I use to haul cold and/or frozen goods when shopping in town and/or the city. If I slide the "covered" cheesecake in the bag, with the bag on it's side, it will fit in the front foot at my feet with plenty of room since I will be able to slide my seat all the way back. Whadaya think? Additionally, we aren't leaving until tomorrow around lunchtime. The cake should be able to cool by bedtime tonight. Would you stick it in the freezer to further protect it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Traveling by Gourmet_Mom (Once again, William,...)
You'll probably be fine, but I'd be tempted to pick up some dry ice tomorrow morning to keep it really cool. Just be careful to wrap the dry ice bag in a towel or you might ruin your cooler. That'll give you some leeway if you want to stop along the way. If I remember correctly, the drive across NC to Boone is really LONG!
  Re: Re: Traveling by karyn (You'll probably be f...)
I agree with Karyn
  Re: Re: Traveling by karyn (You'll probably be f...)
Karyn, I was really shocked the last trip. It had been years since I had been to Boone! What used to be a 6 hour drive across the state when we were in college up there, is now reduced to 4 1/2 hours, even with stops for Cricket! All four lanes!

I can't get my hands on dry ice...tried that for another project. I COULD put some baggies of ice in there, but I'm afraid that if they leak, it will be a mess. The bag is insulated...a cooler bag...and supposed to keep things cool/frozen for up to 5-6 hours. (I've tested this for up to 3 hours.) But I thought sticking it in the freezer over night would be added protection from damage AND make sure it didn't get "soupy". BUT I don't want to ruin the integrity of the cheesecake by partially freezing it, either.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Traveling by Gourmet_Mom (Karyn, I was really ...)
I'm stunned that it's only 4 1/2 hours! Given that, I'd probably be a lot less worried, but I'd still want to add some ice packs....could you foodsaver some ice cubes? That way you wouldn't have to worry about leaking, but would still have some extra cooling.
  Re: Re: Traveling by karyn (I'm stunned that it'...)
Do you have some plastic water bottles or containers you can fill (partway) with water and freeze???? I'd refrigerate the cheesecake until the last possible moment. I think I'd line the larger pan with foil, cover the actual pan bottom with foil and set the whole thing in the cooler and then put ice on top. Double bag ice cubes, the frozen bottles or containers, whatever you can fill partway with water, seal and freeze. Maybe even put the cheesecake in a big plastic bag first????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Traveling by Harborwitch (Do you have some pla...)
Sounds good, but I sure would not use dry ice. Ice paks after being refrigerated overnight will hold it fine. Since you're going to cover it with another larger pan, I'd put an ice pak under and on top. Wrap it all up in newspaper, tie it up and stick that puppy between your feet - will help you stay cool also.

That's my 2 cents, anyway. Safe trip!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Traveling by cjs (Sounds good, but I s...)
Thanks, you guys! Shoot, I don't have any newspaper. Although, I could pick up one while in town tomorrow AM getting new tires. If not, I'll have to stick with the bag. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fold the top half of the bag over on itself to make it smaller. I like the idea of vacuum sealing the bags of ice and covering it top and bottom with the ice bags. I don't think it will hurt to have a bottle of frozen water handy either, just to be safe. If I don't use the bag for the cheesecake, I'll just stick it behind my seat with extra ice/ice bottle. If nothing else, the ice bottle will provide Cricket with some good cold water from home while we're up there...LOL! And if the ice bags hold up, there'll be fewer trips to the ice maker for cocktails Friday night!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Traveling by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, you guys! ...)
Have a great trip, Daphne. I'm sure the mountains will be much cooler than where you are. YS is going to LOVE the cheesecake! All the advice given here sounded good to me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Traveling by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, you guys! ...)
Daphne, I would both freeze it and use ice packs. When I was in catering,
even using both, by the time the cake was served, it was thawed sufficiently. Freezing for such a short time had no effect on quality.

Have fun!

PJ
PJ