Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31??
  Re: (...)
This is it - goodbye JULY!! (already! ) What's on everyone's menu?

Today is the "Plenty of steak" night, plus not on the list, but we have two beautiful artichokes ready to pick and I'm not giving those up for any food regime!!

Trixxee, Sharon, Denise - you all have August b'days. Anyone interested in resurrecting our Birthday Dinner menus? I've sure missed them.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by cjs (This is it - goodbye...)
We just had dinner at 7pm....its 9.30pm now in Singapore.

I made Indian Naan, a kind of flat bread that is pan fried over the hot stove on a pan without any oil or fat.
And dipped into chicken curry and potatoes. yums..

[Image: naancurry2.jpg]
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by Gina_Choong (We just had dinner a...)
We love Naan, Gina - Paulie (remember from C2C?) gave me his mother-in-law's recipe years ago. I have to be careful when I make it, the homemade is eaten darn near the same day I make it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by cjs (We love Naan, Gina -...)
Jean, I made mine with low fat yogurt, the texture is springy soft and yes, we never had to keep. Its gone in one meal.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by Gina_Choong (Jean, I made mine wi...)
Here is Paulie's recipe. Is it similar to yours, Gina? I just love them.

PAULIE'S M-I-L'S NANN

Here's a fave of mine...took me a long time to develop a recipe that enbraces everything I like about Naan bread - slightly crisp outside, soft chewy middle and a light flavour that is great for sopping up everything from curries to mussels!

P.S This makes a good pizza dough, if you can believe it.

Naan (makes 8)

1/2 oz. fresh yeast (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
4 Tbsp. warm milk
2 tsp. sugar

1 lb. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. yogurt
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp. ghee (or melted butter or vegetable oil)

Method:

Combine the yeast, warm milk and sugar in a small bowl until the yeast begins to froth, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine the milk, yogurt, egg and ghee. Stir in the yeast mixture. Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Mix until a ball forms.

Pour the ball onto a floured tabletop and knead for about 5 minutes.

Return to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm area until the dough is doubled in volume, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

Pre-heat oven to 375F

Punch down dough and divide into 8 portions. Roll into balls and cover with damp cloth for 10 minutes.

Roll or stretch each ball into a circle roughly 8" in circumference. Brush each with some reserved ghee or melted butter and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for about 10 minutes, turning the naan over and bake an additional 6 minutes, brushing again with ghee/melted butter.

Remove and keep wrapped in a clean tea towel. Serve immediately.
-----
Paul - My mother-in-law makes the best naan on the planet, and all she uses (in Canada at least...back home it would be the tandoor) is a regular oven at 375-425F. She lightly oils aluminum pie shells with ghee (or oil) places the dough inside and bakes it in the oven...no worries.
Something else I have seen is to use a flat-top griddle that sits on top of a conventional burner and use that for parathas and other quick breads.

me - .I wondered about the griddle on top of stove, that's the way I do Lefse and it works great. Naan is a little thicker than Lefse, but not too much. Good idea.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by cjs (Here is Paulie's rec...)
I keep wavering between the grilled shrimp tacos from June 2010 and corn on the cob with cilantro lime butter (yup, still have more corn!) and the honey lemon grilled chicken from April 2008 and this version of ratatouille rather than the one paired with the chicken. We made it right after the kid's movie came out and it tasted as good as it looks. And yet one more idea of Tony's is meatloaf since I have some Costco mashed potatoes in the fridge. We'll probably do all three in the next three nights.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-...or-you-ee/
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by Trixxee (I keep wavering betw...)
Taco Salad and l/o chicken. I also made a weight-watcher magic pudding dessert. Haven't had anything sweet all week which is a record for me!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by Mare749 (Taco Salad and l/o c...)
"weight-watcher magic pudding dessert. - hmmm, doesn't that sound interesting.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by cjs ("weight-watcher magi...)
My original plan was "scattered sushi" with surimi, avocados, cucumbers, and sushi rice with black sesame seeds. It's just not ringing my chimes. Thinking a crawdad and/or surimi (fake crab)melt on fresh biscuits and some steamed baby broccoli. Or maybe a crawdad/surimi stirfry with baby broccoli and warm sushi rice (love it that way!)

Jean let me think about that. I've missed our dinners - there's so much I have to and want to cook. I'll see what I can come up with.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner Plans - Saturday, 7/31?? by Harborwitch (My original plan was...)
"Scattered sushi"? Is that what you get when you purée fish in a blender with the lid off?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?