An unexpected treat!
  Re: (...)
We got our butts in gear this am and headed out for the farmers' market. Well . . . it didn't exist. Not sure what was up, but it wasn't there.

Just as we had made up our mind to head home Cousin Timmy's wife Renae called and invited us to lunch. Their farm is on the way back here so we drove out to their farm.

WOW - out in the middle of the farm was a little oasis of green with flowers and lots of shade trees. Renae brought us out big glasses of her "rhubarb slushie" (all I could get out of her was rhubarb, wild strawberry jello, and watermelon tequila). After visiting for a while she and Timmy started bringing out food.

There was a big bowl of peaches and apricots, a bowl of big cucumber chunks (garden fresh), a tub full of watermelon chunks, grilled burgers on homemade buns, and a big ol' wooden bowl full of panzanella made with fresh tomatoes and basil. The bread in the salad was really good and she grinned and asked if I'd figured out what it was. Nope.

She didn't have any good crusty bread (does not exist around here) but they had been to a pizza place last night and had left-over cheesy breadsticks and pepperoni pizza so she just tore all that up and used it (didn't find any pepperoni (darn??)). It was amazing!!

Funny thing was that in the shower this morning I was thinking about Panzanella, one of my summer favorites!

It was a great little lunch, with wonderful fresh flavors and some real creative touches.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: An unexpected treat! by Harborwitch (We got our butts in ...)
That does sound like such a nice way to have lunch! I can picture the whole thing and can almost taste it. Some very creative ideas used there. I especially love the idea of using the breadsticks and l/o pizza in the salad!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by Mare749 (That does sound like...)
Great idea! What a fun day that must have been.

I wish these lists for markets were kept up to date - we've traveled to quite a few that have gone out of business.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by cjs (Great idea! What a f...)
Yeah - it sucks so much. I'm going to start checking websites and make a phone call before we go. We just don't have the time to go riding off to nowhere for nothing. We must focus . . . yeah!
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by Harborwitch (Yeah - it sucks so m...)
Sorry the farmer's market wasn't there. That is so disappointing. But the lunch sounds wonderful!! I bet it was just beautiful as well as tasty.
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by DFen911 (Sorry the farmer's m...)
We ate alfresco under beautiful shade trees with light breezes. I wish I'd taken pictures - but I'm not sure she'd have understood.

Your picture was so beautiful. I showed it to Bob and he just groaned.
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by Harborwitch (We ate alfresco unde...)
Oh Sharon! What a beautiful picture you described! And what a creative little cook you've found in your extended family!

Sorry about the market though. I know how you feel. I made a special trip into town a couple of weeks ago only to find about 4 tables of goodies. They said it's a lot busier on Saturday mornings, but then mentioned a lot of "craft" stuff....not what I'm looking for!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Sharon! What a b...)
Can't eat crafts. Maybe we'll try another one this week.
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by Harborwitch (Can't eat crafts. M...)
Quote:

Can't eat crafts.

Nope. Not with either spelling, though the ones you're describing are probably more appetising.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: An unexpected treat! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
LOL! I agree! Although, I guess it might be worth one more visit, just to see...maybe some of the "crafts" she mentioned are edible.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.