Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu??

1st day of the second week.... (eggs)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
crab cakes with remoulade. Still haven't decided on sides, will wait to see what looks fresh at the store.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by chef_Tab (crab cakes with remo...)
We just got back from camping again. That was probbly the last trip this summer. Nights are getting cold already This morning James' boss called to let him know he's on 12hrs this week Peh! Anyway, I've got the "sushi bug" meaning that I'm going to the Asian Market this week and get a mat, Nori, sushi rice and anything else you all recommend for supplies
Rice steamer???? Ideas for fillings????
While Jame is working all those extra hours, I'm going to play with my new toys
Going shopping tonite or tomorrow so give me a list of must haves please
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by farnfam (We just got back fro...)
It's funny you should mention sushi - I just sent a link to my husband on a sushi restaurant we drive past all the time and have never tried. A friend of mine recently went and now I must have sushi tonight!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by Trixxee (It's funny you shoul...)
Cis, I didn't want to start off with the raw fish, so I googled California Rolls and found this site: American-Style Sushi In addition to California Rolls, it has ideas for other sushi on the bottom right as well as listing things you need. Also, Sharon shared the recipe for a GREAT sushi roll here: Sharon and Jean's Sushi

A final note, I found a powdered black vinegar mix that worked GREAT! A rice steamer would have been nice, but I had no trouble making the rice in a pot the regular way. Good luck and have fun!!!!

Oh, I forgot...I think I've finally decided on dinner. I've been craving Chicken Piccata lately, so I think that's dinner tonight.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, I didn't want t...)
How about spreading out the rice, placing a hot dog onto it, running a line of ketchup along the hot dog, then rolling up the whole thing in some kind of thin bread (maybe a crepe - something other than nori). THERE would be some American "sushi." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, I didn't want t...)
Thanks, Daph, that will really get the ball rolling for me. Still undecided about the rice cooker. In a way it seem convenient to let it cook itself while I do other prep. I see Walmart has a cute red one from Oster, and I see the Aroma that Erin has. They are not expensive. But I wonder what they mean by 3 Cup capacity?? Three cups raw yielding @ 6 Cups cooked?? Anyone know?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I made The Pioneer Woman's Fancy Macaroni - Macaroni and cheese with carmalized onions and bacon. How can you go wrong with that! It is like a heart attack and 20 lbs in one bowl!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by esgunn (I made The Pioneer W...)
I did the simple tomato tart with bacon - the cheese was a cheddar jack shredded mix with jalapenos, chipotles, and habaneros. Jeeze it was good! A little cucumber white radish salad alongside was perfect.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, Aug. 2nd?? by farnfam (Thanks, Daph, that w...)
Quote:

Thanks, Daph, that will really get the ball rolling for me. Still undecided about the rice cooker. In a way it seem convenient to let it cook itself while I do other prep. I see Walmart has a cute red one from Oster, and I see the Aroma that Erin has. They are not expensive. But I wonder what they mean by 3 Cup capacity?? Three cups raw yielding @ 6 Cups cooked?? Anyone know?

I would like to know that also, just in case I decide to get one. Does anyone know?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."