Hi Y'all
  Re: (...)
It's been a while and I would love to send my hello to all my friends---past and future. It has been a horrible year...events too emotional to discuss and I won't bore you with the details.

I have been following the discussions here and you guys are so energetic.....I often smile with your dialogues.

Good news-----Daughter Wendy is getting married on Friday. Peter is on his way (as I write) to Scottsdale, Arizona to give the bride away---he is soooo excited and happy, indescribable!!!!

The honeymooners will be coming here for two weeks following the ceremony and I am coming out of my skin----EXCITED???? YUPP!!! The suite is ready--I just need to add some fresh Proteas (Wendy's favorite) and some awesome chocolates and that project is done......sooo much to do and sooo little time!!!

James is a professional chef in Scottsdale---he owns a French bistro and is REALLY talented!! Now I have to prepare dishes for this genius---intimidated or what I have decided to create dishes that I am comfortable with and the selections Peter has chosen as his favorites---some simple and some challenging---but I love a challenge!

Question for you chefs out there---pros and newbies---James is allergic to avocados--I have this wonderful recipe for shrimp/curry mayo that I normally serve with avos---any suggestions for a substitute other than artichoke hearts?

Wine afficiandos---do you prefer Pinot Noir to Pinotage? Wendy and James are into the wine big deal ---we aren't....soooo, I am attempting a wine pairing (South African products) with my dinners and this is the roadblock I have hit---Both are readily available here but I'm not sure which would be best to serve with blackened tuna---or maybe a Merlot? Suggestions will be appreciated.

This is going to be a learning experience for us....can't wait!

LOVE the bookclub idea---thanks to Jean and Daphne for being my "friend"
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Hi Y'all by Roxanne 21 (It's been a while an...)
Hi Roxanne! Good to hear from you again. Sorry for the difficult year you had to endure. Congrats on the upcoming wedding of your daughter. Hopefully this will be the turning point for you.

I have no advice on the avacado sub. I am just drawing a blank. But for the wine, I am really loving Carmenere's these days. But if your blackened tuna is spicy, you may want to opt for a semi dry wine rather than a dry wine. A dryer Riesling would be my first choice.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Roxanne it's so good to see you! Congratulations on your daughter's marriage! I can imagine how excited you are.

I'm so sorry your year has been so awful. Hopefully this is the start of a major turnaround for you.

Not sure what I would sub for avocados. Asparagus?

Bob and I adore Pinotage . . . Pinot Noir is awfully nice too, and easier to find (especially here in North Dakota).

So I'm not much help at all
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by chef_Tab (Hi Roxanne! Good to ...)
Hi, Roxanne! It is sooo good to see you on again! And thank you for being MY friend as well! I, too, am saddened by your difficult year but agree that, surely, this is a turning point.

I don't know enough about wine to be much help there. From What to Drink with What You Eat:

Blackened Fish-
beer, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc

Tuna-
Cabernet Sauvignon, esp. with tuna with black pepper, beer, esp. lager with spicy dishes

Beyond that Tuna in general can be served with just about anything, although most of the more highly recommended are whites with a Merlot here and there.

As for the avocado, Cook's Thesaurus recommends:

-chayote squash (Once cooked, this works as an excellent low-calorie substitute for avocados in many dishes.)
-(for guacamole) peas (Purée raw peas in a blender.) OR
-(for guacamole) asparagus (Cook until tender, chill, then purée.) OR
-(for guacamole) broccoli (Cook until tender, chill, then purée.) OR
-(for salads) artichoke hearts

Good luck! And enjoy the honeymooners! I hope you'll take notes on all you cook and tell us all about it when you get a chance!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Roxanne! It is ...)
Hi there, stranger!! Welcome home! And aren't you going to have fun when your daughter and her chef arrive!! PLEASE, don't feel intimidated. Roxanne, no one loves food more than chefs and they love to be spoiled by having someone cook for them. So, just do your normal wonderful cooking and he wil be in 7th heaven!!

Not sure how you present your dish when you use avocados, but could you sub a broccoli or pea mash as a bed??? Or make a timbale of a green vegetable to serve under? Am I in the ballpark of what you do with this?

What a bummer, a chef alergic to a food product - hopefully it's only when he ingests it not works with them.

It was such a pleasant surprise to see you on the book site.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by chef_Tab (Hi Roxanne! Good to ...)
Thank you for your kind thoughts----it really means a great deal to me--I consider you guys as a part of my life!

I will take all of your advice very seriously:

Daphne---I checked that site out as well--unfortunately, didn't help but a good suggestion for research.

I thought about a Reisling---but I will serve that with my spare rib dinner so I wanted something different for the tuna.

Jean---a timbale will be perfect--maybe a broccoli or spinach will work--thanks for the inspiration---YOU ARE A STAR!!! BUT BUT BUT------you are superb with wine pairings---advice on the pinot, pinotage, merlot or something??? (for the blackened tuna)
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by Roxanne 21 (Thank you for your k...)
Hi Roxanne, so nice to see you again! I hope that this next year is much better than the last one. How wonderful that the newlyweds are going to be staying with you for two weeks! Sorry, I'm not much help with the wine pairing, but Jean will be back on soon and she will be able to help.

Roxanne, don't let the chef make you nervous. Do what you do best. You've been cooking for a lot of years and sound like a terrific cook yourself. This might make you feel better...Tony Bourdain stated on one of his shows that he LOVES to go home with friends and have their mom cook good homemade meals that she has been making for years. He's no dummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by Roxanne 21 (Thank you for your k...)
Quote:

Thank you for your kind thoughts----it really means a great deal to me--I consider you guys as a part of my life!

I will take all of your advice very seriously:

Daphne---I checked that site out as well--unfortunately, didn't help but a good suggestion for research.

I thought about a Reisling---but I will serve that with my spare rib dinner so I wanted something different for the tuna.

Jean---a timbale will be perfect--maybe a broccoli or spinach will work--thanks for the inspiration---YOU ARE A STAR!!! BUT BUT BUT------you are superb with wine pairings---advice on the pinot, pinotage, merlot or something??? (for the blackened tuna)

Hey girl--welcome back--you have some really good South African Sauvignon Blancs out there--the only dry red I would serve with the tuna would be pinot noir--I love both!! Good luck!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hi Y'all by Mare749 (Hi Roxanne, so nice ...)
Mare, thank you for your supportive words. Tony is one of my must see shows when BBC programs him. He is very entertaining and your right--he is no dummy. Wendy has said on many occasions that they are not invited to other peoples homes for a home cooked meal---the intimidation factor! I can relate to that but I will do what I have been requested to do---between Peter and Wendy, I'm covered---I hope!! If James is not happy---there is a MacDonald's not too far away or a KFC!! OR he can do the cooking---even though I have already told him that the kitchen is off limits to him---it's a honeymoon for @#%$# sake.

Bill---I was so hoping that you would reply to the wine query----There are some really awesome Sauvignons here---I will serve that on boulliabaisse night---see I think I have done the research. I have been leaning toward the Pinot Noir (good quality are kind of hard to find here because they are bought immediately) but I will not fail!! Let's see what the other experts think---THANKS, Bill!!!
Roxanne - good to have you back on the Board. Happy for your daughter's wedding, sad for your troubles last year, happy for your visitors!

For wine pairings, I find this site the easiest to use. It also has an iPhone app, so I can use it at the store easily.

Nat Decants