Re: (...)
For the baste, the recipe instructs you to combine:

11 ounces peach nectar
1 tablespoon peach preserves
1T low sodium soy sauce
1T minced garlic
1t Dijon mustard
pinch red pepper flakes

in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and reduce to half.

A quarter cup is saved for the vinaigrette and the rest is used to baste the chicken-and-peach skewers as they cook.

My question:

I am making a double recipe for guests this weekend and
I only have 1 11-ounce can of peach nectar (the store didn't have any more when I looked yesterday).

However... I couldn't find any nice peaches either, and bought nectarines instead, so it will be chicken and nectarine skewers.

I had 3 large very ripe nectarines which I skinned and pureed. So I have about 1-3/4 cups of nice, thick nectarine puree.

Since the nectarine puree is so much thicker than the peach nectar, can I combine the two and not reduce the mixture (just mix in the remaining ingredients, and use less of the amount of nectar)? Or should I use only the nectarine puree and not reduce?

Does this even make sense???? What do you think? Should I just try to find another can of peach nectar?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by foodfiend (For the baste, the r...)
Vicci, do you have any other fruit juice you might add to the pureed nectarine to bring it to the consistency of the 11 oz. of peach nectar and then follow the directions and reduce to half the doubled amount? Maybe water would work, since you'll have such a concentrated flavor...

Sounds good. I hope this helps a little.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by cjs (Vicci, do you have a...)
I would probably make another trip to the store and substitute apricot or mango nectar for the peach if they are still out. I had to do that recently and it worked out fine. Now I keep 4 or 5 cans of nectar on hand just for this very situation.

Why is everyone buying peach nectar? I was surprised when my store was out of just that flavor.
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by cjs (Vicci, do you have a...)
Vicci, does this help? Ontario Peach Nectar Recipe
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, does this hel...)
Wow,Daphne, if I had the time I would have to try that recipe. I've saved it, though. For next time...

But now I can't decide. I do have mango nectar, and guava. But perhaps I should just add some water to the puree and go from there. Decisions, decisions! I'll let you all know what I finally do.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by foodfiend (Wow,Daphne, if I had...)
Oh, Vicci, I'm sorry. I was not suggesting you make this, I posted it for you to see the ratio of water to the fruit puree and the addition of sugar and a touch of lemon juice to mellow the sweet of the fruit. This was just a guide for you to doctor your nectarine puree, so it will match the nectar you already have.

Although, if you have not already pureed your nectarines, I'd go with one of the fruit nectars you already have.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Vicci, I'm sorry...)
Daphne, don't be sorry! I saw the instructions for the scoring the peaches, then dumping them in cheesecloth and weighting it down, and thought "this sounds fun!". Well, it does! But I did note the addition of lemon juice (to keep the fruit from darkening, I'm thinking since it was a small amount), sugar, and water. The problem is that the weight of the fruit includes the pits, and I don't remember the weight of the nectarines which I peeled and pureed. But maybe I will just add some water and a bit of sugar (added lemon when I pureed), then proceed with the recipe.

Cooking-- what an adventure!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Trattoria Salad w/Peach-Glazed Chicken Skewers #82 by foodfiend (Daphne, don't be sor...)
"Cooking-- what an adventure!" - and doing what you're doing (or doing last night) is what's so fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com