Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video
  Re: (...)
I found this funny video, thought some might enjoy.

Posting and You --- Netiquette
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by luvnit (I found this funny v...)
very cute. I have seen something similar for facebook, but sadly, those who need it most must ignore it
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by chef_Tab (very cute. I have se...)
LOL! Actually, only a few ignore it. Most of the time, the problem is that those who need it are just not inclined to be looking for it in the first place, and those who don't need it may see that it's there, but they don't need it.

Another common netiquette problem is when people send email to all their friends at one shot. Most people, not knowing the risks involved and not giving ANY consideration to anyone else's privacy, will just toss all the email addresses into a single "TO:" or "CC:" line.

This is VERY bad, since EVERY recipient of that email, will then get the PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESSES of EVERY other recipient. IF (and only if) everyone in the group knows and emails each other, then that's not TOO big a deal, but if not (or if ANY of those recipients forwards the message to someone outside the group without editing out the other addresses), then there could be BIG problems.

Such emails are sought after by viruses on people's computers and may be traded among potential identity thieves. If you have ever wondered how so many of the Spam and virus emailers got your address and why you started to receive so much garbage, now you know one of the primary ways that happens.

Here is what should be done to prevent potential problems:
  • NEVER send bulk email with all the recipients listed in "TO:" or "CC:"
  • ALWAYS address bulk email "TO:" your own email address then put ALL the other recipients' addresses into "BCC:" ("Blind Carbon Copy"). This way, NOBODY else sees the list of recipients.
  • ALWAYS be considerate of those who have received the email before you AND those to whom you are sending it. Be sure to edit forwarded emails so that not even the body of the message contains addresses of all the people who have forwarded it before. Also, if the message is a mess because it has been forwarded many times, and it is indented a lot, take the time to clean it up so that your recipients don't have to see the ugly evidence of those who didn't follow proper netiquette.
  • [b]If you are not willing to follow these simple steps, you should NOT be sending email and you have no idea how much your friends hate that rude unwillingness.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by labradors (LOL! Actually, only...)
That's funny!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by Gourmet_Mom (That's funny!...)
"ALWAYS address bulk email "TO:" your own email address then put ALL the other recipients' addresses into "BCC:" ("Blind Carbon Copy"). This way, NOBODY else sees the list of recipients."

Oh, is that how that's done????? Crap, I apologize to all the testers, I did not know how to do this....will in the future.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by cjs ("ALWAYS address bulk...)
I never heard the dangers before and thought BCC was only if you were being secretive. I apologize as well.

And Jean, you did not upset me in the least!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Posting Netiquette - Funny Instructional Video by chef_Tab (I never heard the da...)
Yikes! Same here. Sorry everyone. I'll do better.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."