Nigella, et al
  Re: (...)
Decided to channel surf while eating dinner and discovered that the Latin-American version of the "FoxLife" channel carried by our cable company has Nigella Lawson (with Spanish subtitles added, of course).

It also has Bill's Holiday by Bill Granger, Kitchen Nightmares by Gordon Ramsay, Man vs. Food by Adam Richmann, and Oliver Twist, Jamie's Great Italian and Jamie's Kitchen Australia by Jamie Oliver.

Although I don't know the opinion of everyone here about the latter part of that lineup, a number of you have posted recipes from Nigella Lawson.

Considering that whole lineup, do any of you have any suggestions as I start taking a look at these shows?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Nigella, et al by labradors (Decided to channel s...)
I absolutely love to watch Nigella! She keeps everything fresh and simple.

On the other hand, I can't stand Man vs. Food. It just disgusts me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by Mare749 (I absolutely love to...)
I LOVE Nigella! I have two of her cookbooks and really like her "Nigella Express" copy. (Thanks again, Jean! ) Her show is more like this cookbook...quick and easy with minimal ingredients.

And I LOVE Jamie Oliver, too! His food sounds so fresh!

I was not terribly excited about Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares". It was okay...better than some, but there were not may shows, that I know of, so I didn't get much of a range to judge from.

But if you can get Nigella...it will all be worthwhile!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Nigella, et al by labradors (Decided to channel s...)
Oh Nigella is a must watch. Most men just love to watch her cook. It doesn't hurt that her food is just amazing.

Jamie Olive IMHO has grown a lot since the days of his older shows. I always felt there was too much "bashing" about going on, too frenetic. Again, JMHO

Man vs Food can be interesting, but it can also be revolting. The last time we saw it he at a 40+ oz. steak - in 20 minutes. Sort of a eating competition /what's the most disgusting thing you've ever put in your mouth and chewed and swallowed.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by Harborwitch (Oh Nigella is a must...)
Roy won't move the last 10 minutes of her show (Nigella), in case he misses her midnight raid of the frig..... she has to be one of the most unintentionally sexy women I've every seen. If it's intentional, she's good.

Plus she cooks - why don't I just dismiss her...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by cjs (Roy won't move the l...)
Pity it's not JUST a cooking show, but more like Rachael Ray's show, with a lot of other talk, etc. For example, on the show that I saw, she, some other women and Tom Conti were sitting around trying to guess the prices of designer handbags. Kind of a waste of time if you want to wach the show only for the recipes.

Haven't seen Man vs Food, yet, but my impression of it from the description on the channel's website was pretty much what Sharon said: it MAY, occasionally be interesting, but will probably be more gluttony than REAL food interest.
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by labradors (Pity it's not JUST a...)
Hmmm, never have seen a Nigella show that wasn't just cooking. huh.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by cjs (Hmmm, never have see...)
Me neither. That's strange.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by Gourmet_Mom (Me neither. That's ...)
Here's the description of the show from the channel's website. This is NOT a show just for this channel, but is an existing show brought to the channel and then provided with Spanish subtitles.
Quote:

Nigella Lawson interviews celebrities of all kinds while cooking some culinary banquets true to their style. The main interview each episode takes place in the kitchen as she whips up a conversation with three members: Nigella, the guest and a viewer at home.

That would seem to go along with what you said, in general, so maybe last night's show was just an anomaly.
  Re: Re: Nigella, et al by labradors (Here's the descripti...)
That must be a totally different show. Here's the description of her two shows I'm familiar with from the Cooking Channel.

"Don't have your own domestic goddess? Welcome Nigella into your home. Nigella Feasts is a delectable series from Nigella Lawson, one of the world's most influential cooks and food writers. Prepare for a total immersion in Nigella's food life and the delicious feasts she cooks for herself, her friends and her family, from large special occasions to small everyday pleasures. Or watch Nigella Express, featuring Nigella's fabulous fast food, incredible shortcuts and easy ways to inject classic elegance into any meal."

In her bio, this is mentioned:

"American audiences also know Nigella as host of Forever Summer with Nigella, her popular cooking/lifestyle series, and Nigella Bites."

I'm guessing the Forever Summer with Nigella is the show you are getting.
Daphne