T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13
  Re: (...)
Oh, Oh, just noticed - FRIDAY, THE 13TH!!

What's on the menu for today?

We're having Apricot Lamb Chops with snap peas & leeks and the almond rice. (from C@H Fresh book) a couple artichokes also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by cjs (Oh, Oh, just noticed...)
Well, another busy, busy week. TGIF is right and I do not have to work today. My hubby has been very busy also (it's his busy season) and a little irritable. We were both up at 4:00 am today, having coffee, plugging things back in from the 'deadly' lightening storm last night. He was uncharacteristacly crabby and has already this morning to say he was sorry for his bad mood.

So since I am going to be home today, I wanted to make him a wonderful dinner to start the weekend and put him in a happy frame of mind. For this I have to pull out the big guns and plan a surf and turf dinner. I hope we get some great grilling weather for this...

So we will be having steak and shrimp on the grill, I need to think of a potato dish. Perhaps AuGratin Potatoes. He loves asparagus with bearnaise and some great bread. That is what is tenatively on the menu.

I will make another batch of cabbage soup on Sunday for my snacks and lunches. Then try to have a reasonable dinner.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by luvnit (Well, another busy, ...)
I don't know what William has planned, so I'm tentatively planning a steak dinner, also. So Laura, you've inspired me. I think I'll pick up some shrimp for surf and turf, too.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know what Wi...)
Oh good for you Daphne! I just called hubby to tell him what is on the menu for tonight and he is thrilled. I don't know many men who dislike surf-n-turf meals! What else are you having with yours.

P.S. I need to send you a PM later...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by luvnit (Oh good for you Daph...)
I'd love to do the asparagus, too, but William told me recently he's not a fan. I'll just wait and see what looks good at the store. I'm tempted to try fresh artichoke, but the tips of the ones at the store are darkened and don't look so fresh.

Regarding the PM, I'll be away for an appointment and grocery shopping shortly, but will be back mid-afternoon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by Gourmet_Mom (I'd love to do the a...)
With all the recent soup talk I dragged out my Soups and Sides book. I'm thinking of making the Vietnamese noodle soup with little pork meatballs. Unfortunately just about every time I specifically go to the store for ground pork they're out. Go figure! If that's the case I'll go the blacked chicken quesadilla, guacomole and black beans route. All I would need to buy for that are avocados. Watch - they won't have any ripe ones.

It is Friday the 13th afterall!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by Trixxee (With all the recent ...)
I want to eat at Laura's or Daphne's tonight. Surf and turf...YUM!!

We're having blue-cheese stuffed burgers with red wine sauce from a recent Fine Cooking. Probably some grilled asparagus, too. I was going to make focaccia as well, but things got away from me yesterday and I never made the biga, so I may just skip it and go low-carb.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by karyn (I want to eat at Lau...)
I'm not sure what we're having. I've got some sirloin thawing in the fridge. It could be Swiss steak, pepper steak, ?????? I think a tomato and basil tart would be lovely since I have some beautiful tomatoes.

I think the pepper steak, leftover pork and rice.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by Harborwitch (I'm not sure what we...)
Daphne, even if the tips are dark, are the leaves tightly closed? If so, they will probably be good or at least they were when cut.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner?? 8/13 by cjs (Daphne, even if the ...)
That's what I'd read. Someone said that the browned tips meant that the artichokes had been exposed to very cold temps before they were harvested, and that that meant they were sweeter.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!