Star fruit Wine
  Re: (...)
Are Star fruits easily available in USA? If yes, this is a MUST TRY to make at home.
If not, wait for the Asian supermarkets to sell it*(maybe?)

Drool FACTOR : Insanely Drool Worthy

I harvested this bunch from a star fruit tree which my neigbhour had in his little garden. In exchange, I baked a cake and more cookies for his family..fair TRADE!
[Image: starfruit.jpg]

The wine appears to be murky, off white..
[Image: starfruitwine.jpg]
Here's my recipe

Ingredients
1kg star fruits
100g fine sugar
4 small limes(sliced into half)

Method :
1. Wash, sliced and pit out all the seeds.
2. Toss with sugar and limes and keep in a glass container and cover tightly.

[Image: Day1StarFWine.jpg]

3. Loosen the lid every alternate day.
4. By the 7th day, open, drained.
5. Fruits appeared brown and 'moldy', so discard.
6. Store wine in a glass bottle and straight into the fridge
7. Serve with ice and remember to think of ME when you are drinking it.

This is how much wine you get from Day 2nd..this is about 200g of Star fruits(my first try)
[Image: starfday2.jpg]

This is how much wine on the Day 4th..noticed some white bubbles at the top? That's normal..bubbling gases makes this wine tastes like Soda mixed with Wine.
[Image: 4DayStarWine.jpg]
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Star fruit Wine by Gina_Choong (Are Star fruits easi...)
Okay. While you're at it, do you have any ideas for making wine from mangosteens or rambutans? With the mangosteens, would there be variations where the purple part is used (either together with or apart from the usual white part)? With rambutans, would it be necessary to remove the fruit from the pit, or could they just be peeled and left on the pit (since the fruit is so much more difficult to remove from the pit than it would be for lychees - which are less plentiful here)?

We do see some star fruit around here, once in a while, but there aren't many trees for it locally. They grow mostly in other parts of the country, and the fruit just isn't as popular with the locals as rambutans (which they mistakenly call lichas) and mangosteens.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Star fruit Wine by labradors (Okay. While you're ...)
not from mangosteens. Rambutans, haven't tried either. But Rambutans are easier to peel and removed all seeds, skin etc. Mangosteens may be a bit of hassle.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Star fruit Wine by Gina_Choong (not from mangosteens...)
I wish rambutans were easy to remove from their pits, but the lychees are the ones that are easy. Mangosteens are a little bit of a pain, but not too bad if you get them early enough, before the hard seeds have a chance to develop within the white aril. I've heard that Filipinos make jam from the purple exocarp, but I've never used it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?