Spicy Fried Chicken
  Re: (...)
So tonight I'm going to do the Spicy Fried Chicken from issue 81. Has anyone else done this yet? I'm going to pair it with the Three Bean Pasta Salad.

I've already done the Summer Fruit Slaw from this issue and LOVED IT!!!!
  Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by DFen911 (So tonight I'm going...)
I haven't done it, but it sounds good. Anxious to hear your review.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by cjs (I haven't done it, b...)
Ok so here we go.

First I would omit soaking in buttermilk. The recipe calls for soaking for 20 minutes, I soaked for 4 hours. I think brining the chicken using a salt brine minus the sugar but add the tabasco to get that flavor thru-out the meat would impart much more flavor. I did the buttermilk at the 2 alarm mixture.

Now for the flour mixture. I did it as directed, excellent flavor! The mob sauce was the hit. Something about the combination of the tabasco and honey with the creamy flavor of the butter was just delicious!!

Also note I did not fry in peanut or vegetable oil, but rather used a tub of crisco. The tempurature was much more even.

Now for the salad. I did the recipe as directed. The flavor was good but needed more salt. Also I think I would almost double the vinaigrette because the pasta absorbs so much of it. But it's one I will do again.
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by DFen911 (Ok so here we go.[br...)
I haven't made fried chicken for so long...and probably will be a long time yet. But, will make the recipes. Thanks Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by cjs (I haven't made fried...)
Thanks for the review, Denise. We gave up frying, but I'm wondering if that recipe could be done as an oven fry instead. At least the flavors would be there.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by DFen911 (Ok so here we go.[br...)
Thanks for the revies. THat is funny Denise. We loved that slad and I don't remember it not having enough dressing. I know I doubled the salad recipe and the dressing I am sure. The one thing I did that might have made a difference in the absorption is I cooked the noodles cooled tossed with a little olive oil and then bagged them, prepped everything else and bagged it and it all went in a cooler. Made in the morning and didn't toss until later in the day. Wonder if that kept the noodles from sucking up all the dressing?

I haven't seen that issue in a while. Must go find it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by DFen911 (So tonight I'm going...)
Great review Denise. I would love to try this. My experiences with fried chicken leave my kitchen a disaster area, chicken that is overcook on the outside and raw on the inside. It is pathetic. I made one final attempt when C@H had a huge spread on fried chicken. It was another colossal failure and vowed never to make it again.

I love fried chicken though. It is one of my weakenesses. I may have to review my policy.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by luvnit (Great review Denise....)
I agree, Laura. Fried Chicken is a weakness for me, also.

It's funny, I had never had hot sauce on fried chicken until I was in my thirties. I kept wondering why my fav restaurant kept putting Texas Pete in my bag. One day, when I commented on it, a friend just busted out laughing. He said try it on your chicken. I couldn't believe I had been missing out all my life...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, Laura. Fri...)
Daphne, also really good on fried catfish!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spicy Fried Chicken by Mare749 (Daphne, also really ...)
... and, down here, it's almost a given to put hot sauce and freshly squeezed lemon juice into chicken soup.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?