Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs
  Re: (...)
The dish was named "Stewed Pork Rib King" from a chinese cooking program in Hong Kong. I couldn't figure out one of the herbal ingredient that was used in this dish so I modified the recipe.

Here's my tried n tested one which our family loved.

The pork meat is very tender, breaks away from the bone easily. The meat was also very juicy. The sauce was sweet and slightly sour from the vinegar but not too overpowering.

[Image: sweetVpork.jpg]

Ingredients
1 rack of Prime pork ribs(about 10 ribs)
1 big bunch of fresh spring onions(about 10 stalks)
1 inch young ginger, sliced thinly
50g rock sugar(crushed into smaller bits)

Marinating sauce
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp dark soya sauce

sauce
100ml Black vinegar
50ml light soya sauce
300ml chicken stock
2 pcs star anisee
3 pcs cloves

Method
1. Slice or cut ribs from whole piece. Marinate with dark soya sauce and garlic bits for 10 mins.
2. Heat up the wok with cooking oil and deep fry the ribs over high heat for 3 mins. Drain and set aside.
3. Remove the oil and leave 2 tbsp of cooking oil on the wok.
4. Add ginger to stir fry till fragrant.
5. Then add spring onions, half-cooked ribs, rest of sauce ingredients.
6. Turn up the heat and cook till it boils.
7. Once it starts boiling, cover the wok and lower heat to medium and let it simmer for 1 hour.
8. Open the wok cover, give it a good stir and sprinkle Rock sugar on top.
9.Cover the wok again and let it cook for a further 30 mins.
10. Turn off heat, sauce should be reduced to a thick sticky sauce that sticks to the ribs.

11. Serve immediately.

Modifications I made
1. I cook another set of spring onions on the side and added that on the plate.
2. When the meat was cooked, I dish out on the spring onions.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Gina_Choong (The dish was named "...)
Thanks Gina. We don't fry anymore, but I'll try your ingredients using my own method for cooking ribs. (I usually steam in a slow oven for a couple hours, then put on the grill. They come out very tender.)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Mare749 (Thanks Gina. We don...)
...that or the CrockPot, Maryann. Either way, this sounds great.

Gina, what else can you tell us about the black vinegar. I think that's the first time I've heard of it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Gina_Choong (The dish was named "...)
Gina, I used black vinegar for the first time in your cucumbers. I thought it was very mild, a little sweet, higher ph (less acid)--It is really different, I liked it very much--I will try these ribs!! They sound really good--I'm working on my oriental, Thai, and fusion recipes. Welcome to the group!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Old Bay (Gina, I used black v...)
hi Everyone!

black vinegar is widely use in Chinese cuisine. Any chinese kitchen will have 1 bottle at least. I know I have at least 3 bottles..!

My husband loves the flavour it gives to his food. And adds a drizzle here and there sometimes to the noodles too.

My 12 year old daughter loves black vinegar too. She adds it to soup..!

its the most important ingredient use in the Sze Chuan soup or sometimes call the Hot and Spicy soup.

think of it as the Balsalmic vinegar you use in your salads. Its something like that.
the local old chinese folks believes that it cures a colicky tummy when you drink any soup that has black vinegar in it. How much truth, I have no idea..but its the one ingredient I keep stock at home.

This sweet vinegar pork rib was something I saw on TV in Hong Kong..we were there in 2008 for a holiday..was in the hotel and nothing to do and watch cooking program. It look really delicious and when we went home after the vacation, I tried to mimick the dish.

People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Gina_Choong (hi Everyone![br][br]...)
Maryann

the Frying bit was explained during the TV program. The host says its to seal in the flavours of the sauce with this suddenly very hot 'shock' treatment. It also burns off any excess fat in the meat.

the simmering done later on tenderises the meat.

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Gina_Choong (hi Everyone![br][br]...)
Gina those ribs sound really good. I'm in love with black vinegar! We'll be trying these as soon as we get landed back in CA.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by Harborwitch (Gina those ribs soun...)
These do sound very good. Maryann, I wonder if searing on a super hot grill (lid closed) would take the place of the deep frying - think I will try that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by cjs (These do sound very ...)
Interesting info, Gina. Now, what IS it, and how does one substitute for it, especially in a city in a third-world, Latin-American country where the closest thing to a real "any Chinese kitchen" is a seven-hour bus ride away.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sweet Vinegar Pork Ribs by labradors (Interesting info, Gi...)
Oh, my! This does sound good! Thanks, Gina!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.