Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for tonight?

We'll have the meatloaf sandwiches I thought we were going to have last night tonight instead.

The Beef stir-fry with red onions was o.k., but waaaay too much beef called for, so I think tomorrow I'll play with the leftovers. We (in the U.S.) can sure screw up cooking when we borrow from another culture and then pack the dish with meat....geez.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I've been craving Mac & Cheese, and I have 1 lonely can of Wolf Chile on the shelf. Hmmmmmm.

Cracked me up - never saw Wolf in CA, actually never saw it here until yesterday!!!! I just may have to stock up on that and the SunButter before we head home.

That reminds me - Jean do you want creamy or crunchy????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by Harborwitch (I've been craving Ma...)
Crunchy - always!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

I've been craving Mac & Cheese, and I have 1 lonely can of Wolf Chile on the shelf. Hmmmmmm.

Not sure where my mom found this, but she just emailed it to me yesterday:

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 7 T. unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 1 small onion, finely chapped
  • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup hot sauce
  • 2 T. all -purpose flour
  • 2 t. dry mustard
  • 2 & 1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 pound yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 3 & 1/2 cups)
  • 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
  • 2/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup panko
  • 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
  • 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. (When I make half I use 8 x 8 inch pan). bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; and add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain
  2. Meanwhile, melt 3 T. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minutes more.
  3. Melt 2 T. butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half and half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup of hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes.
    Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
  4. Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour cheese sauce evenly on top.
  5. Put the remaining 2 T. butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko, blue cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the macroni and bake until bubbly. 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have NO idea! I'll have to give this some thought....last free night, so I have the urge to celebrate the end of summer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

and I have 1 lonely can of Wolf Chile on the shelf. Hmmmmmm.

So, then, that would be a "lone Wolf".....

I am making a sushi picnic to take out on the boat. Used my cute little new rice cooker and the rice looks perfect, that was easy
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Labs this recipe came from the FoodNetwork Magazine. I may have posted it before - not sure. But, it is fantastic. If I had some leftover chicken this would be on the table tonight.

Bob and I found a Cheetos snack called Mighty Zingers - Ragin Cajun that we think would be incredible crushed up on top of this mac & cheese. Yum!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by Harborwitch (Labs this recipe cam...)
That Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese sounds amazing. I'll have to give it a try soon!

We're grilling a stuffed flank steak and broccolini, and I'm serving it with focaccia, which is rising right now.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by cjs (Crunchy - always!! [...)
Quote:

Crunchy - always!!

A woman after my own heart!!! Crunchy rules.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 8/18?? by karyn (That Buffalo Chicken...)
The cukes and tomatoes are overflowing in the garden now, so I am making:

Chicken Souvlaki Salad

The elements of a classic Greek salad and a chicken souvlaki sandwich combine in this piquant dish. You can also use lamb in place of the chicken.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
3 cups cubed peeled cucumber (about 3 cucumbers)
1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup grated peeled cucumber
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat grill or broiler.

Combine 1 teaspoon garlic and the next 6 ingredients (1 teaspoon garlic through chicken breast) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. Remove chicken from the bag. Grill or broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.

Combine chicken, cubed cucumber, and the next 4 ingredients (cubed cucumber through tomatoes) in a large bowl. Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture; toss well.

CALORIES 259 (28% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 3g,mono 3.4g,poly 1g); IRON 2mg; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 161mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.3g; SODIUM 679mg; PROTEIN 31.8g; FIBER 2.9g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2002

I marinate the chicken for 15 minutes in a shallow dish, and use fresh garlic in the dressing along with about 1/2 teaspoon of Greek seasoning (fresh oregano, too, since I have lots). I also serve it on a bed of chopped romaine (again, from the garden-- I looooove this time of year!). Grilled whole wheat pitas will accompany...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com