Chicken Souvlaki Salad
  Re: (...)
I posted this on tonight's dinner thread, but thought I'd give it one of its own since it's so very good. I have tons of tomatoes and cukes in the garden, and this salad is a great way to use them up. Plus, this is one of the only main-dish salads that DH actually likes!

Okay, I finally found my copy of the chicken souvlaki salad recipe (filed in the "seafood" binder, go figure), and here is the recipe with notes:

Chicken Souvlaki Salad

The elements of a classic Greek salad and a chicken souvlaki sandwich combine in this piquant dish. You can also use lamb in place of the chicken.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (double)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (double)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano fresh, if available
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
3 cups cubed peeled cucumber (about 3 cucumbers)
1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese (lowfat, 3 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound) (drain on paper towels if very juicy)

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup grated peeled cucumber (place in paper towel and squeeze excess moisture)
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (lemon juice)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (fresh, 1 small clove, crushed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat grill or broiler.
Combine 1 teaspoon garlic and the next 6 ingredients (1 teaspoon garlic through chicken breast) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. Remove chicken from the bag. Grill or broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
Combine chicken, cubed cucumber, and the next 4 ingredients (cubed cucumber through tomatoes) in a large bowl. Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture; toss well.

CALORIES 259 (28% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 3g,mono 3.4g,poly 1g); IRON 2mg; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 161mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.3g; SODIUM 679mg; PROTEIN 31.8g; FIBER 2.9g

Cooking Light, JUNE 2002

My notes:
I prefer this assembly:

Toss lots of chopped romaine with a little olive oil and s&p. Place on plates. Toss veggies and about 2/3 of the crumbled feta with half of the dressing. Place on top of lettuce. Next, divide chopped chicken breast between plates, top this with a generous dollop of sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Serve with grilled whole wheat pitas.

[Image: 4905694747_7e5972cd0a_b.jpg]

I had to omit the olives for you-know-who.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Chicken Souvlaki Salad by foodfiend (I posted this on ton...)
Vicci, this sounds divine and on the menu ASAP! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chicken Souvlaki Salad by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, this sounds d...)
This does sound good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Souvlaki Salad by cjs (This does sound good...)
Beautiful!
  Re: Re: Chicken Souvlaki Salad by Trixxee (Beautiful!...)
Derek is going to love this!!
  Re: Chicken Souvlaki Salad by foodfiend (I posted this on ton...)
Beautiful! Must go on the menu soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!