Need your help ...brain is stuck
  Re: (...)
Darling daughter and her hubby are coming. Big BBQ planned for next weekend. I'm all set with my marinade and sauce for the bbq chix, but stuck for sides. So far all we have is potato salad (friend is bringing) and corn on the cob (plentiful here now) and beyond that I'm blank for a green veggie ugh, please help
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by farnfam (Darling daughter and...)
I get stuck with greens all the time also, Cis. The only things that come to mind right now are Chinese Coleslaw and grilled veggie kabobs- zukes, yellow squash, and red onion?

Just remembered...Gina's Cucumbers in the black vinegar recipe she posted. After a quick search, I just remembered a Roman Summer Salad we had a couple of times last summer. Basically, it's sliced tomatoes topped with an olive/parsley dressing and a balsamic reduction. It's a Giada recipe...let me know if you're interested, and I'll post the recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by farnfam (Darling daughter and...)
I made Gina's cucumbers in vinegar--really good--use seedless if you can't find hers. Otherwise I don't think anything goes better with BBQ than a crisp tangy coleslaw.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by Old Bay (I made Gina's cucumb...)
Thanx, these are good ideas. Keep em coming
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by farnfam (Thanx, these are goo...)
It ain't green, but what about baked beans?

And don't forget the deviled eggs!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by Gourmet_Mom (It ain't green, but ...)
Deviled eggs are on the menu. I've got some homemade dills,I'll chill and slice.
Got any ideas for a spinach salad?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by Gourmet_Mom (It ain't green, but ...)
Seven layer salads are popular cookout sides around here and nice because you are supposed to make them the day before.
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by HomeCulinarian (Seven layer salads a...)
I've never made one, got a recipe?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by farnfam (Thanx, these are goo...)
For the green veggie, what about fresh broccoli? We like it with everything.

My MIL gave me this recipe for marinated raw veggies that we like a lot. Cut up broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, olives, onion, carrots, etc. Just about anything you like that won't get too watery. Use a packet of Italian dressing seasoning and mix it with a bottle of store bought Italian dressing.

Put the veggies and dressing in a big plastic container and let them marinade for 2-3 days. Be sure to shake them or turn them over a few times a day. The water from the veggies dilute the dressing after a few days, so it's not as strong as it sounds.

If you need a lunch or snack idea while visiting on the deck and drinking wine; grilled eggplant topped with provolone and served on a little pool of sauce is always nice. We always grill some homemade bread brushed with olive oil as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need your help ...brain is stuck by Mare749 (For the green veggie...)
Yum, sounds great Maryann! I love the snack idea.
Cis
Empress for Life