Grilled Garlic Artichokes
  Re: (...)
We did these the other night - the stupid "fire disk" thing ran out early so last night I put them in a saute pan and cooked them a little more. We were licking our fingers and wishing we had more.

2 Large artichokes
1 Lemon - quartered
3/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Fill a large bowl with cold water, Squeeze the juice from one lemon wedge into the water. Trim tops and stems from artichokes, then cut in half lengthwise, and place halves into the bowl of lemon water.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.

Add artichokes to boiling water and cook for about 15 minutes. Squeeze the remaining lemon wedges into a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper (I also added a little Alleppo pepper flakes).

Brush the artichokes with a coating of the garlic oil and place them on the preheated grill. Grill the artichokes for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with the dip and turning frequently until the tips are a little charred. Serve immediately with the remaining dip.

The dipping sauce is amazing! I could eat it like soup.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by Harborwitch (We did these the oth...)
Okay, here's where I get confused and decide I'm not ready to try these things.

I've had them twice in my life...fresh. Once was when I visited a friend's family in CO. They had the whole thing and you pulled off the "leaves" (what are those things called?) and dipped them in butter....scrapping off the "meat" of the veggie....sooo good! In my memory, it reminds me of crab legs...a lot of work, a lot of waste, but a spectacular flavor! Then William's artichoke appy at a FRENCH restaurant...leaves only...good, but not satisfying.

THEN, I see the whole artichoke heart thing....DISCARDING those "leaves" with the luscious "meat", removing the choke and simmering the heart in something.

So what's the deal here you guys? How do you enjoy the WHOLE thing?????
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, here's where I...)
We scrape the leaves with our teeth, then near the center we eat most and then all of the leaves (if it chews, it's good)--remove the choke--cut the heart into pieces--the leaves and the heart are dipped into butter (not politically correct accoring to the food police) but sooooo good!!! Hard to pair with wine. Try a sauvignon blanc.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by Old Bay (We scrape the leaves...)
"remove the choke--cut the heart into pieces"

Here's where I'm confused. Do you cook the whole thing, pick the leaves, split the heart and remove the choke, and then eat the rest (the heart essentially)?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by Gourmet_Mom ("remove the choke--c...)
I think you have it correct, Daphne. We "scrape" each leaf as we pull it from the artichoke, until we get down to the little tiny ones that are too difficult to deal with. Then we remove the choke, and cut up the heart and eat that. When preparing them, it helps to snip off the pointy end of each leaf first.

When grilling artichokes, I preboil, or steam them whole, then cut in half lengthwise, and proceed as Sharon did. We still eat them the same way. It is nice to have an extra plate or bowl on the table for discarded leaves.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by chef_Tab (I think you have it ...)
Oh yes, and lots and lots of napkins for these.

Bill I didn't believe it - the garlicy oil was better than butter or mayo.

Normally I boil in lemon water with crushed garlic cloves and fresh herbs. The grilled was so incredible. When we get back to the land of artichokes and year round grilling these might be the way of the land.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by Harborwitch (Oh yes, and lots and...)
We've been eating our artichokes dipping in nothing for the first time in our lives and thoroughly enjoying them.

Daphne, did your questions get answered? I cut the top 1/2" to 3/4" off the artichoke top, rub the cut with citrus. I cut mine in half lenghthwise (only so they cook faster). When they are cut, you'll see the leaves and at the end of the leaves and on top of the solid meat (the heart) are little tentacle, feathery things - these you cut out after you've picked off and eaten all the leaves.

Cook them until a leave pulls away easily. Or, do as Sharon talks about par-boil then grill until tender.

When you get down to the 'choke,' carefully cut so you get rid of the "choke" but not the beautiful tasty heart.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Garlic Artichokes by cjs (We've been eating ou...)
Just a little add on note as per my wonderful Nana

She would trim the leaves and spread the artichoke out a bit. Then she would stuff it with breadcrumb, garlic, olive oil mixture. She would sit them all in a pot, add an inch or two of salted water and oil and steam them till they were tender, like 30 or 40 mins. Man were they ever good. My kids don't think it's really a holiday without them
Cis
Empress for Life