What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu? (Daphne, did you EVER have your Surf & Turf)

We're having Shrimp Stir-Fry with Ginger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by cjs (What's on the menu? ...)
I'm going for something new, easy and involving pantry ingredients because I am not leaving the house in this record heat we're having to buy anything.
Apricot Chicken with Almonds. Probably steamed rice and stir fried asparagus since I have a Costco sized pack to use up.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...nds-231356
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by Trixxee (I'm going for someth...)
wow, that one is copied, Trixxee - thanks, sounds good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by cjs (wow, that one is cop...)
Bob got some beautiful Porterhouse steaks yesterday so we're going to share one on the grill along with some sauteed mushrooms and a grilled pear and spinach salad with gorgonzola. The dressing will be made with a Pear Rose vinegar and hazelnut oil. I even know where there's some truffle butter to melt on the steak!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by Harborwitch (Bob got some beautif...)
oh Sharon, a porterhouse sounds so good right now!

I am making a version of zuppa toscano, using some lovely swiss chard I found at the farmers market. I tasted a bit and it is wonderful. Now if only Wally would come home from school. I am starving.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by chef_Tab (oh Sharon, a porterh...)
I'm making mixed grill salad from the new CAH Light cookbook. It has scallops and chicken breast meat, peaches, strawberries and pineapple with a lemon vinaigrette. Had it on the menu for last week and didn't get around to it until today.

Also going to start making up batches of salsa, soups and sauces from our tomato harvest. Had our first brandywine served Caprese style last night.... oh, was it good!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by HomeCulinarian (I'm making mixed gri...)
"brandywine" - Oh, one of my favorites!!!

I'm anxious to hear how you like the mixed grill salad - sounds good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by HomeCulinarian (I'm making mixed gri...)
LOL! Yes, Jean...we finally had it Sunday night.

Tonight we're having Chicken Picatta with salad. It's fast, simple and a favorite. I'm pooped and the kids haven't even gotten here yet!

I was on my feet until 6:30 last night (Open House). Then, today, I had to sit on little round seats in a large cafeteria where I could barely hear half the time...and definitely couldn't see. What I did hear, I already knew...OIY! Anyway, those little backless seats didn't help my back situation from yesterday...aggravated it more, actually. It won't get any better until the weekend, I'm afraid. The kids come back tomorrow and there is much more standing and walking around those first few days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by cjs ("brandywine" - Oh, o...)
Hey Daphne,

After the 3 DOAs of clams, the rest came out unscathed overnight in the fridge on the sheet pan laid with paper towels. Thanks so much for the advice! I will never be scared to overnight clammies again!

Barbara<~~~just needs to learn to not cook them to rubber consistency...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 8/24 by chef_Tab (oh Sharon, a porterh...)
It's blowing 30+ out there. I'm not sure that the little Weber won't blow away - to say nothing about the coals, etc. blowing around.

We put up the solar screen windows inside this am - had to customize the ones for the side windows. Man - do they make a difference!!!!! We can see out (keep an eye on the clouds) but no one can see in and the sun is kept out.

Then we started grinding venison and pork for sausage. We got enough ground and in the fridge again for 2 batches of sausage. I have enough venison for 2 more batches - just need to dig in the freezer to see if I have enough pork (or we'll have to go get more!). Tomorrow we'll grind on a finer grind, season, and stuff the first 2 batches.

I got a nice hunk of pork loin curing for Canadian bacon, a 5lb venison roast to corn, and 6.5 pounds of jowls to get in the cure.

My back is killing me, so I think after cleaning up the mess it's just going to be leftovers. Hopefully the wind will die down tomorrow (if not we'll take the grill up to the quonset).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!