Spinach salad
  Re: (...)
Hello guys!!!

I'm looking for your most favorite spinach salad recipe...with a fruit preferably. This has got to be an awesome salad----son-in-law (the professional chef married to daughter Wendy August 6) will be arriving a little later than planned but my menu remains the same.... with a tweak here and there. Peter had to undergo emergency surgery while in Scottsdale---AGAIN!!!!---therefore, plans were frog-leaped by 3 1/2 weeks I am continuing to plan the menus around activities and I think everything is in place.....I have researched and sourced some really awesome wines--they (James and Wendy) are totally into their wines so I hope that I have some options that they might like---don't really know because I do not have a wine palate...but it will be a learning experience for us.

Back to the original question---SPINACH SALADS??? This is to serve on their arrival---2:00 a.m. our time--with a quiche and some other "stuff" ---they will be starving and should not have something heavy but satisfying---if we plan to have some sleep that night---

Help PLEASE!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Spinach salad by Roxanne 21 (Hello guys!!![br][br...)
I'm so sorry to hear about Peter's continuing health problems and you having to be so darn far away!!!

This is an old Cooking Light recipe, Roxanne, but...it is very, very tasty. If you don't have to worry about the nutrition values, just increase some of the goodies.

* Exported from MasterCook *

SPINACH-STRAWBERRY SALAD WITH GOAT-CHEESE BRUSCHETTA

6 servings
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sherry or white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds -- toasted
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced red onion
3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups torn spinach (about 1 pound)
2 cups halved strawberries
2 tablespoons slivered almonds -- toasted
1 (3-ounce) log goat cheese -- cut into 6 slices
6 (1-ounce) slices French bread -- toasted

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a jar; cover dressing
tightly, and shake vigorously.

Combine the spinach and strawberry halves in a large bowl, and
toss gently. Pour the dressing over the spinach mixture,
tossing gently to coat. Spoon 1 cup salad onto each of 6
plates; sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon toasted almonds.
Spread cheese over toast slices; top each salad with 1
bruschetta.

Description: "The goat-cheese bruschetta's pungent flavor contrasts with the sweetness of the salad dressing and strawberries."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Spinach salad by Roxanne 21 (Hello guys!!![br][br...)
I'm so sorry to hear about Peter having more medical issues. To be so far away from him at this time must be so hard.

We had the most wonderful spinach salad the other night - but there's not really a recipe. I was playing . . . spinach, scallions, gorgonzola crumbles, toasted pine nuts, and grilled pears. The dressing was nothing but some pear rose vinegar, salt & pepper, and hazelnut oil. Next time I make it I'll try to write everything down - so I'm absolutely no help at all!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by Harborwitch (I'm so sorry to hear...)
I'm sorry, Roxanne, about Peter. It must be a very trying time for you and he both.

Jean, I was going to suggest this very same salad. Either I happened to copy the recipe from that issue or you mentioned it or emailed it to me in the past.

Very nice idea.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by pjcooks (I'm sorry, Roxanne, ...)
While I think my favorite would be good with fruit...dried pomegranate or cranberries, peaches, grapefruit????? It's a savory salad, and I have never tried it with fruit. Here it is, just in case you want to try to play with it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach Salad With Pine Nut Dressing

Recipe By :Jo Merrill
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/8 cup pine nuts (pignolia) -- or slivered almonds
1 3/4 tablespoons olive oil -- or salad oil
5/8 tablespoon wine vinegar
1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
3/8 pound fresh spinach -- washed and stems removed

Spread pine nuts in a shallow baking pan and toast in a 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5-8 minutes; let cool.

In a bowl, combine pine nuts, oil, vinegar, nutmeg, lemon peel, and tarragon. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until the next day.

To serve, select large leaves from the spinach and use to line 8 salad plates.

Cut remaining leaves into thin slivers; mound on plates.

Stir dressing to blend then drizzle over salads.

Season to taste with salt.

Description:
"Tossed with toasted pine nuts and a hint of lemon, fresh spinach takes on a Mediterranean flavor. This is my favorite salad!"
Source:
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by Gourmet_Mom (While I think my fav...)
Warm Bacon Dressing and Mandarin Orange Sections in the can always come to mind.

I haven't done the "search", but I do believe it's in here.

Barbara<~~~doesn't bacon go with anythin spinach???
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by BarbaraS (Warm Bacon Dressing ...)
Doesn't bacon go with ANYTHING!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by Gourmet_Mom (Doesn't bacon go wit...)
Quote:

Doesn't bacon go with ANYTHING!

Like Taffy apple pie with bacon brittle ice cream?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks Labs---that will be put on the menu---WITH the bacon!!!

The recipes are awesome---THANK YOU!!!! I will peruse them carefully and "play"-----I see something very interesting in the future menu for spinach salad.....love the idea of the goat cheese (REALLY GREAT product here!!!) and bruschetta....that takes care of my 'what to serve as bread' problem....better than the usual garlic thang!!!

I am going to incorporate all of your suggestions...I will have a salad that is either really great or really bad---

BUT I am willing to bet the former!!!!!!!!!!

Daphne---I LOVE pine nuts! Hard to find here and very expensive but worth the search!!! I have some in my freezer for the pestos I concoct! YUMMMM ... can't wait to put this together!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Spinach salad by Roxanne 21 (Thanks Labs---that w...)
When does everyone arrive, Roxanne???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com