pendula tomatoes
  Re: (...)
I am watching Tyler's Ultimate on Cooking Channel, and he is in Italy where he is learning how to make the ultimate pizza. They got these tomatoes to make the pizza. This is really cool. They "sew" the tomatoes together at their peak and lightly smoke them for what I think he said for three months? This keeps the tomatoes fresh for months into the winter.

Does anybody know more about this? I'm thinking I must have misheard. Surely they smoked them and hung them to dry for three months? They were not like sun-dried. They were still juicy inside. These were crushed and mixed with garlic, olive oil, salt, and half the basil leaves and left to marinate. This was the sauce for the pizza, of course. Anyway, this sounded like a really interesting way to preserve them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: pendula tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (I am watching Tyler'...)
Daphne, I turned the food network on just as we sat down to brunch and Tyler F. was just finishing up his pizza, so didn't see the rest of the show...darn. That sounds interesing. Have never heard of it, tho.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: pendula tomatoes by cjs (Daphne, I turned the...)
Jean, you're going to howl, but this particular episode was on the Cooking Channel. >>>>>>>plugs ears quickly<<<<<<<
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: pendula tomatoes by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, you're going t...)
crap - but, he did a pizza this a.m., so thought
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com