question about leeks
  Re: (...)
Hi,

I found this recipe for WILD leeks in balsamic sauce. I am dying to try it for our Italian dinner. I have no idea where to find the wild leeks. On the picture it looks like basically the white part of green onion. Does anybody know if I should use the regular leeks or actually go with the white part of green onions to substitute for wild leeks.

Here is the recipe if anybody is interested.

http://www.earthydelightsblog.com/earthyblog/?p=277

Thank you
  Re: question about leeks by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I found t...)
The picture doesn't look anything like domestic leeks. They are bulbs--I've never seen a leek bulb!! The website picture is of fiddlehead ferns!! These are harvested 2 weeks a year in 3% of the country--this is an exoctic website--try the regular leeks--I'll bet they are good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: question about leeks by Old Bay (The picture doesn't ...)
Well, first of all, the recipe is copied ( ), and the newsletter subscribed to - sounds really interesting.

I've not seen Leek scapes or ramps, but I do a lot with garlic and chive scapes/ramps. Since this is a take off of a cipollini (which they spelled “Cippolini Agrodolce”... ), which have a strong flavor, I think I'd do a combinations of the smallest leeks and toss in a few green onions also.

I'm going to make this - it sounds so good. Let us know what you do with this, Marina.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: question about leeks by cjs (Well, first of all, ...)
Hi,

The recipe sounds really good to me too...Let me know if you do this before me. My international dinner group is sept 11. If you try this before me let me know what you used and how it came out. I think I will just use the white part of regular leeks unless somebody knows what else I can use. The other option is to buy the wild leeks frozen and have them shipped but it is sooo expensive.
  Re: Re: question about leeks by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]The recip...)
This does sound like it would fit in our 'current food regime,' so I may get it made soon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: question about leeks by cjs (This does sound like...)
Thank you Marina, for posting the website for us. I'll let you know when I make it as well.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: question about leeks by cjs (Well, first of all, ...)
I did not know wild leeks were ramps--never seen or eaten ramps--we are looking for a supply--I want to try everything before I die!! (I've already tried liver--never again, in any form)
  Re: Re: question about leeks by Old Bay (I did not know wild ...)
"(I've already tried liver--never again, in any form)" - ...and, Spam burritos!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: question about leeks by cjs ("(I've already tried...)
Quote:

"(I've already tried liver--never again, in any form)" - ...and, Spam burritos!!

(Love you!!)
  Re: Re: question about leeks by Old Bay (I did not know wild ...)
Quote:

(I've already tried liver--never again, in any form)

Once, when someone asked me if I wanted some liver, I said, "No, thanks. I already have one." On another occasion, I just said, "WHY?"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?