Sour taste in crockpot
  Re: (...)
Lately everything I cook in my crockpot gets a sour taste to it. It smells off too. Anyone else experience this? I've cleaned the insert over and over, but doesn't seem to help.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Sour taste in crockpot by farnfam (Lately everything I ...)
I've never experienced this, Cis - what a turn off that would be. Just a thought, does anything else smell 'off' that you are used to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sour taste in crockpot by farnfam (Lately everything I ...)
No, haven't had that happen, thank goodness. Is the insert scratched? Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but it could retain smells more. If the CP is fairly new, you could try calling the 800 number.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sour taste in crockpot by Mare749 (No, haven't had that...)
The insert looks ok. I am doing an experiment with it today. I washed and scrubbed with a soft scrub type cleanser. First I heated just the "pot" part, no smell, then I added the insert, no smell yet, next I put water in it and then the lid. I've got it on high and no smell yet. So either I cleaned it right, or it's been in the food. Side note: I did a meatloaf the other day on the aluminum wrap (so it never touched the insert) and it still tasted awful
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sour taste in crockpot by farnfam (The insert looks ok....)
part 2 of crockpot experiment. I have added dry minced onion to the water as somewhere else it was suggested that this makes the smell/taste. So far no smell. I sure hope the softscrub cleaning was the ticket...and also, I won't ever put it in the dishwasher again
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sour taste in crockpot by farnfam (part 2 of crockpot e...)
Cis, Hope you figure it out. I Have stopped putting raw onion in my crock pot. I was getting a real bitter taste to the food that just overpowered everything. Now I always saute it some before adding to the crock pot.

I think by putting the onion in the water, you might be actually making it mellow, and not getting the same effect from placing raw onions in the bottom of the pot.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Sour taste in crockpot by esgunn (Cis, Hope you figur...)
Thanks, Erin, good call. I will try a meal with the onions sauteed first. With the cool Fall weather just around the corner, I really want to resolve this crock pot issue
Cis
Empress for Life